What workouts prepare you for the mountains?

Reedjj

Dec 30, 2012
Cleans for me. A stairmaster with a pack and weights too, since there are no mountains around here.

A treadmill with an adjustable incline + Backpack. It isn't like stumbling over rocks and climing over downfall, but it gets the legs in shape.

Back pack weekly 60 pound pack 5 to 12 miles.....Ok I am a former Army Ranger (17 years ago) and just can't get the road march work out of my system even at 44.....The rest if the week consists of cross fit, kettlebells, and circuit training with weights......Always do your cleans and dead lifts..... :mad:

I runa few miles during the week and the rest of the time I train by loading my Badlands 2200 with sandbags. I have 6 bags with 20# in each. By August I am usually up to 120# and hiking 2-3 miles. It's a killer in the heat, but it's worth it come September!

Steady use of the treadmill with an incline and with a pack as noted will prep you for the season. Being an old veteran, with older joints
I go for the low impact workout that similates hiking in the mountains, with body resistance workouts. Anything to stay motivated through
the winter until shed season starts! 

Outside of working out at the gym, Scouting with full gear like I would be hunting is the best routine for me. Gets my body used to doing  exactly what it does during hunting season. Do it a couple times a week.

I workout every other day. pullups, lunges,dumbbell curls,pushups, reverse lunges,close hand position pushups, pike shoulder press, tricep dips, tricep extensions,concentration curls, hammer curls, and various ab exercises (planks etc).  I want to get a bar so I can do cleans and deadlifts.

I also hike around the neighborhood with a 45 lb pack every once in a while. 

Like many others, treadmill with incline every other day including some running as well as long steep climbs. On the opposite day of my runs I lift using free weights. When snow melts it is time to hit the mountain as often as possible with pack loaded up with scope water and as much normal gear as possible. I wish I had more time for the hiking the mountain part. There is no better way to be in shape than to hit the mountain. When I go chase bear in the spring that helps a ton as it gives me a head start on the fall season.

The hardest part is always staying committed all year long. It is easy to get busy and fade away from your routine. It helps when you keep your goals in focus for the year so you keep on track to make sure you are ready for August and September.

I shed hunt.. I also try to do my running in the  mountains or up the hills at the ranch. If that's not an option, then a treadmill with a big incline.

I do alot of running in the mountains near home 4 times a week long runs are 5+hrs. need to throw in some cross training.

Running on an incline, squats and lunges and some wieght training really helped me out this past year

bike hard (stationary in the winter), 50lb pac 1-1/2 miles up hill w/ 600ft gain mwf
killer in june and somewhat easier by november....it is not easy being 55

jenbickel said:
I shed hunt.. I also try to do my running in the  mountains or up the hills at the ranch. If that's not an option, then a treadmill with a big incline.

I love taking time to shed hunt early in the year. I get to work off some of the holiday pounds an I sometimes get to see what made it through the fall and winter. I am fortunate enough to live at high elevations so I focus on cardio workouts to build stamina. Throw a bit of weight in a pack and go for a jog is the easiest way to build legs and cardio for me.

Consistency and Endurance.

Have a regimented work out, preferably every day.  A little at a time is best, don't burn yourself out.

Once a week, do something that consumes at least an hour, 3 if you can afford the time.  When hunting, you go all day.  Aim to train your brain to be prepared for the feat.

I mix my workouts. CrossFit, TRX, Mountain Biking, Hiking with and without a weighted pack, running, bleachers and scouting.

Cleans and hiking prepare me for hunting, but I am a true believer in training the entire body.
A small truck with huge tires can only handle a small amount of weight

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back