What's in your pack

JoshDilly

Jan 2, 2013
Hey

Just wondering what goes in your pack when your going for an extended hike in hunt in the back country. I am already preparing for my first trip next year and am looking too learn from what you pack in from stoves to food, all the must haves.

Thank in advance!

Josh,

Start with checking out the gear / bivy hunt articles on Elk101 and then Google ultralite backpacking.  Try to lighten your load as much as possible with your gear (within your comfort range and budget).  Do several backcountry excursions carrying and using your gear before your bivy hunt.

Gear examples:  Silnylon tarps instead of tents, tyvek house wrap for your ground cloth, down sleeping bag, Klymite sleep pad (inflatable and very compact), MSR Pocket Rocket stove, titanium cup / spork, Steripen or Aqua-Mire for water purification instead of pumps, Petzel headlamp (100 lumens / AAA batts / mere ounces), Platypus brand hydration products (great product and they don't make your water taste bad).  Look for 1/2 to 1/4 oz size polyethylene bottles to store sunsreen and meds in (don't carry an 8oz tube of sunscreen or insect repellant when a 1/2 oz will do).

Clothing:  Think in layers.  Merino wool is hands down my favorite base layer and sock.  Smartwool brand is great.  I'm looking at probably hunting in a very light hiking boot or trail running shoe this year (archery elk).  The heavy gore-tex boot just makes me tired and sweaty unless there is snow on the ground.  A fleece cap, some good gloves, and a primaloft vest will bring you a lot of warmth for very little pack space.

Hunting gear:  Archery for me, so in the pack--game bags, paracord for hanging quarters, havalon knife and a small saw (outdoor edge folding), zipties for attaching tag, latex gloves. On me - map, compass, license, ID, calls, range finder, bow/arrows/release.

Survival:  Dryer lint coated in petroleum jelly (an example for firestarter), matches / Bic lighter, $3 emergency space blanket, whistle.  Make your own first aid kit, include some clotting agent, a couple bandages, tape and meds.

Food:  Mountain House freeze dried meals for dinners.  Breakfast and lunch are "on the go".

At the end of day, everyone has a favorite option and opinion.  If you want to contact me I will give you the list of everything I have / or am getting.  I'm still a rookie bivy hunter, but I'm not completely new to backpacking and hiking.  The lighter the load, the more enjoyable the walk--in this case, the hunt.

Some links you may find useful:

hikinglight.com
ultralitegear.com
backpackinglight.com
golite.com
REI.com
Backcountry.com

A good book to understand the science / gear behind ultralite backpacking is Lightweight Backpacking and Camping edited by Ryan Jordan.  It has about 10 contributing authors. I purchased it from Barnes and Noble on Nook.

At the end of the day, the reading I have been doing makes Cabelas and most of their hunting gear seem less and less appealing.  I have bought into the Sitka craze, and I love their products. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back