When to charge in and when not

Mark Z

Jan 17, 2013
Sometimes you just have to charge in on a bull, but I'm hesitant to blow him out of the area. When is it the right time to charge?

So many variables to this question. Experience is the only answer and even the most experienced guy is gonna do it wrong alot. I am very aggresive with my calling and I also preasure bulls alot. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. About the time I believe I have your question figured out the elk change the game. Hope someone can answer this question for you so I can learn from it also

As was said there area an ulimited muber of variables in this one.  I personally call very little. I am very aggressive on the stalk and let the elk tell me what to do. I watch closely to there movments and work many scenorios in my head. I have plans for anything I can think of.  When the bull is away from the cows and the cover and wind allow I move in fast and close.  I have closed 200 yards at a run. 

As for running them out of the area. If you spooke them and then back off and try again after the storm is passed so to speak you will not normally run them out of the county.  It doesnt work as often as it does though.  Let the elk and terrain tell you when it is right. 

There can multiple scenarios for charging in or towards a bull or heard.
1. You get busted when trying to sneak in on the heard so you go charging into the middle of them and give a scream on your bugle like a challenging bull coming in to steal the heard. This can tick off a heard bull and get him to come running at you :)
2. You keep dogging the heard and the heard bull keeps pushing his cows away. You come in from a good wind position towards some of his cows and act like you are stealing one of his cows (use cow whines and a bull scream and some thrashing around) and he might come to kick your butt and steal her back.
3. You are calling back and forth to a bull using cow and bull sounds (non aggressive), he seems to be hung up one to two hundred yards away. Since he is not coming to you, you move towards him and do not call again until you are within 70 or so yards maybe closer depending on cover. Then you make some sweet cow sounds like you are looking for him, he will probably give you an answer then come looking for you. You may to move towards him a little so he is looking beyond you for the cow and give you a shot :)

I'm sure others have had other situations where they had to charge in or adapt to the situation they were in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back