Where and when to start scouting for elk

Marc_350

Jun 18, 2013
I had a successful archery elk hunt last year. It was my first time in colorado and it took a cple days to find the elk but once I did it was on. I plan on setting my cameras up this weekend in a few different areas but all in the general area I got my elk last year. I know elk rut in generally the same place every year so I know there will be elk there this fall but my question is where are they now. I hunt the timberline and am wondering where to set up my trail cams what kinds of areas are the elk in this time of year that will increase my picture success. I k ow the bulls will hang out above timberline during the summer to stay cool and hide from insects is that a good place to start then timberline? Along with my scouting in general? Thanks.

Marc_350 said:
I know elk rut in generally the same place every year so I know there will be elk there this fall

Elk do like to rut in the same places but I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. Some of the areas I hunt will have tons of elk one year and then nothing for a few years. If someone else is hunting your area they can push them out or any number of other factors can cause the elk to be somewhere else. I would spend more time looking for multiple areas to hunt than scouting only one area.

Colorado is probably different than where I live in NorthIdaho because of the higher elk densities. Where I live I put more emphasis into scouting areas that show evidence of elk having rutted there than I do into finding the elk themselves. If you can find an area that has rubs from several different years that would be best. Along with food and water nearby.

If you want to find elk during the Summer I would start looking for North slopes with timber for shade and nearby food. Then I would find a water source to set the cameras over.

I find in my area the location of the elk rut is decided mostly by the lead cow of each heard and if some one shot the lead cow last season than the area can change,( NEVER SHOOT THE LEAD COW) I think its more important to know the area than where the elk are now, beading areas, thick trees , water, if you know the area you will find the elk come rut time.

Thanks for the advice. I'm also from northern Idaho, the Coeur D Alene area. Hunting here in colorado is quite different then from up there. I've been fortunate to elk hunt in Montana colorado and idaho and idaho has been my favorite so far.

That's funny. I live in Coeur d'Alene. Although I'm from Sandpoint and I still hunt up there most of the time. The few times I've been out around here there are way too many people.

Small world. I know lots of people from sandpoint. If your ever interested in taking a trip to colorado one fall send me a email and we can discuss something.

Small world. I'm from southern idaho and get up there to sandpoint and CDA quite often. Have a good friend that works for sandpoint police department.

BullHunter said:
Have a good friend that works for sandpoint police department.

We wont hold that against you. ;D

What's his name? I know a couple guys that work for the Sandpoint police and the Bonners Ferry police.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back