Which Mystery Ranch pack should i get?

b_child3

Mar 5, 2019
I am lookin to get a new pack and am learning towards Mystery Ranch. I was hoping some of you would either have good suggestions on if you have experience with a one you like, or if there is another brand you like more. Right now i am looking at the metcalf, pintler, or their new selway 60. any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Not knocking the Metcalf, I looked it over before I bought. I went with the EXO K3500 because of the side pockets to hold a spotting scope.
If you stick with Mystery Ranch, I?d recommend the Metcalf as a all around pack.

I liked the exo myself but I found the older camo metcalf pack on close out and with my roc slide discount I got it my metcalf for 350$ brand new so I couldn?t pass it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two. I?m a fan. Not a rabid fan, but the pack works for me.

I have the metcalf. So far I?ve only used it for backcountry trout fishing. Super comfy for my body. My old Dragon Slayer is MVP. I?ve carried it so far and so often.

I think the packs are over built. The things I?ve done to my dragon slayer is ridiculous. I?ve sat onit to protect my butt from cactus and sharp slate for hours watching a deer. I hand signaled in a friend to that deer. His first NM mulie.  The pack  is tear proof.

I think you should seriously consider the EXO.  I used one last year and my hunting partner had a Mystery Ranch.  He complained about the last of outside pockets and overall utility throughout the hunt. I didn't get to haul out an Elk with my EXO, but on my training hikes it has been very comfortable with up to a 75 lb load. I'm sure they are both very capable packs...just my observations from my field comparison.

f16woody said:
I think you should seriously consider the EXO.  I used one last year and my hunting partner had a Mystery Ranch.  He complained about the last of outside pockets and overall utility throughout the hunt. I didn't get to haul out an Elk with my EXO, but on my training hikes it has been very comfortable with up to a 75 lb load. I'm sure they are both very capable packs...just my observations from my field comparison.

Great honest observation. However, that?s WHY I like my metcalf. I wanted ?simple? on the outside. I like how once I?m all cinched down, the bag is like a burrito fill of gear. I?m not a super strong hiker. I wanted my load centered, compact. I didn?t really look for a pack with a lot of external pockets. Similar to Stone Glacier packs. (I?d try one, if I was sure my wife wouldn?t smother me in my sleep with it - ironically, I like the SG Exo3300)

Bag shopping is fun. Hard to determine what you like and don?t like tho. Not without a few dry run$.

I have a Metcalf on the Nice Frame.  Also a Pintler on the Guidlite Frame.  My Metcalf fits me really well.  One of the first things I noticed was that it stays in place and rides with you and not against you.  Loaded or unloaded the Metcalf rides well.  In fact the more weight you put in it the more comfortable it gets.  Yes, you will feel the weight you have in the bag or meat shelf.  But I do not feel hot spots.  The first time I carried front quarters and back straps of an Elk, I was surprised at how the pack felt.  Everything rode very well even though the weight is there.

Everyones, body physiology is different.  Just like footwear, you will find packs that fit you and those that do not.  Try the Metcalf I think you will like it.

They guys at Go Hunt did a pack review and stress test on a variety of packs from different manufacturers.  It's on Youtube and is labeled "Backpack Teardown - Go Hunt Stress Test".

From that video, I'd go with Mystery Ranch or Stone Glacier.  Those are the 2 brands that stood the longest.  They don't mention comfort of the pack, but that's dependent upon personal preference.

klyons said:
They guys at Go Hunt did a pack review and stress test on a variety of packs from different manufacturers.  It's on Youtube and is labeled "Backpack Teardown - Go Hunt Stress Test".

From that video, I'd go with Mystery Ranch or Stone Glacier.  Those are the 2 brands that stood the longest.  They don't mention comfort of the pack, but that's dependent upon personal preference.

Cool video, hadn?t seen that before  :upthumb:

I am quite happy with Mystery Ranch packs, I used a Metcalf but upgraded to a Marshall since I go on 5-8 day backcountry hunts. For day or overnight hunts I have picked up a Pintler and I think it is a great little pack! So depending on your needs, I think that Mystery Ranch has what ever you need. In cold climate I would not recommend the Metcalf for any hunts over 5 days.  (Can't go wrong with Kifaru either.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back