Which tent for backcountry 2013?

Les Welch

Jan 2, 2013
<blockquote>I hunt solo and with a partner. I will always have my own shelter. I might be 3 miles in, I might be 10 miles in. Weight is very high on the list along with useable space, and durability. My shelter needs to have a floor (nest) in it. I've owned lots of shelters and most recently have hunted out of the Tarp Tent Double Rainbow, Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo, and the Shangrila 3. The Lundar Duo probably has the best features. Lots of room, lightweight, double side entry, double vestibule. It is the least "bombproof" of the three. The Double Rainbow is probably the best compromise. Double entry, light, doube vestibule (smaller than Lunar duo though), quicker and easier to put up. The Shangrila 3 has the most room, and can be set so it is the most weather resistant. Single entry, but also the heaviest. Nice to be able to "stand" up in to dress/undress. I still have all 3, and like all 3. My question though, is there something else I should look at? I like to test/try gear, and its time for another shelter. So what do you all suggest? Anything new for 2013?

Factors to consider for me:

1) Weight
2) Size
3) Weatherability.(toughness)..I think I may have made that word up...
4) Number of entries
5) HAS to have a floor
6) Ease of use

Fire away! </blockquote>

I currently use an MSR hubba which I love.  lightweight, freestanding, big vestibule for all my gear.  And you can just pack the rain fly, footprint, and poles which puts it at just over 2 lbs.  They also have the hubba hubba 2 man and mutha hubba 3 man. 

I have recently been looking at the big agnes fly creek ultra light tents.  Their fly creek 2 man only weighs 2lbs 10oz.  so i could have a two man that weighs less than most one mans.

forgot i have a picture
IMG_16361_zps03f5064e.jpg

Thanks Mountain Bowhunters. Looks like a great tent. I will be looking to lighten my load now that I will have everything on my back instead of the llamas carrying it all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back