Who Else Is Turkey Hunting?

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
I've seen a few posts from folks who have knocked down a long beard this spring (congrats Boom and JVanhoy). Anyone else have any luck?

I've still got almost a month left in Colorado's season, so I'm hoping to find some time to get it done. Might even sneak out tomorrow!

A quick reminder as well, feel free to post up your success pictures in the 'Other Game' meat pole!

I?ll be helping some kids in NM this weekend while I?m scouting and hanging cams. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been having a bear of a time getting them to commit from 80-100yds. Called one in this weekend from what had to be a quarter mile out, only for him to skirt the treeline on the field I was setup on. First time hunting mountain turkeys though so I'll chalk it up as a learning experience. Still have a few weeks left to make it happen.

I've been hunting the eastern birds. I bagged one on Maryland's opening day. I've been taking my boys out in West Virginia on the weekends but we haven't connected yet. Lots of fun though.

yooper89 said:
I've been having a bear of a time getting them to commit from 80-100yds. Called one in this weekend from what had to be a quarter mile out, only for him to skirt the treeline on the field I was setup on. First time hunting mountain turkeys though so I'll chalk it up as a learning experience. Still have a few weeks left to make it happen.

Good luck buddy. They are strange creature's for sure. Don't be afraid to get aggressive with them and push up as tight as you can before starting to call. Since I've done that i kill alot more turkeys. Call soft and when he answers shut up and make him come look for you. If you keep calling to him hes fine to just strut and wait on the hen to come to him. They are starting to sit here in VA so things should get much easier in the next few weeks. Good luck again!

Less than 2 weeks left here in TX, headed to NM next week to hunt the last 3 days of the season there. Will post up some pics when done. It's been a good spring in TX and OK so far, hate to see it end but it means elk season is less than 4 months away when it does!!

Dan, will you be at Dyess while you're in TX?

Steven

I'm not sure if watching turkeys run around on private land is hunting, but I'm doing exactly that in North Dakota!

I made it out last night and this morning for a hunt. And let's just say I blew it!  :lol:

I got on a group of turkeys and stalked them straight up a steep, rock filled mountain. Got to the top and took a look over and there they were, 15 yards away! I knocked an arrow, came to full draw and had my top pin on a good tom. He was quartered away a little bit, so I held for an extra second hoping he would turn...and instead, he took off! Literally, flew off the cliff he was on and the other nine birds followed suit. It was impressive to watch for sure. If it wasn't such a cool scene, I'd be a little more upset!

I thought I learned this lesson a long time ago as a youngster on an elk hunt. I had a decent shot on a bull and decided to wait for a better shot, only for the bull to catch a whiff of me and take off. I could have easily shot that turkey and just got picky. Lesson learned! Turkeys 1, Me 0.

I called one in last Wed. He came into about 8 yards before a load of 6's hit him. Funny thing was I was using a Kristy Titus Wild Fury reed call. Clucks and yelps pretty good.

I've been out a couple of times since I got back from Kansas. Been tuff so far. With the late spring the hens are not laying yet. Got till the end of the month so it'll get better. Heading to Wisconsin next week and hunt for 5 days.

87TT said:
I called one in last Wed. He came into about 8 yards before a load of 6's hit him. Funny thing was I was using a Kristy Titus Wild Fury reed call. Clucks and yelps pretty good.

Congrats!

I got this gobbler on public land in Central Oregon on Saturday.
Nice mature bird with a 9.5" beard.
Hopefully Oregon doesn't decide to shorten turkey season next year LOL.

c93f22564527b78ce0cea7e05bbdb2e9.jpg
1ec9cbc75e2905f95b0c87b2e441d859.jpg

A couple southern MO birds. A late spring this year, 27 degrees on opening morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back