who hunts solo?

One thing that I learned while hunting solo. Is if I'm calling and they are coming in I will call till they are pretty close, but not close enough to see each other, then I will move over about 15-20 yards and wait for them to come in. They usually come chest on and I've learned if I can move a little before they get there(risky business) then I will have a more broadside shot.

I like to hunt and call by myself. I pretty much do what MT_mulies does except I try to cut my calling off a little sooner. I'm trying to make the elk I'm calling to try to find me instead of him knowing my exact location which is difficult because elk are excellent at pinpointing locations so I would make a series of calls and then move downwind 20-50 yards or so depending on the foliage. It is also tricky because I do not want the elk to lose interest in my calls and leave. Just remember the elk will most of the time approach from downwind trying to catch your scent. The set-up is very important.

I mostly hunt alone,always have. Rarely bugle,mostly cow calls.
What MT mulie says is good start.
It depends on the situation.
I usually get away from where I last cow called. I use them for cover calls when it's noisy.

I am still trying to figure out when to be aggressive and rush in or wait and see what plays out.
40 yrs, and it's still up to the elk....

I've hunted archery elk solo for years.  I prefer it this way and have been pretty successful.

For calling I first locate them by bugling and get with 100yds or less.  I always bugle behind my back and run about 20-30yds and set-up and don't say another word.  They'll usually come right past you or hang up within range. 

If they're vocal on there own, I just sneak in and ambush them.  I've taken quite a few good bulls this way. 

If they're silent I just still hunt through an area I know they frequent and hopefully I see them first. 

These methods have worked for me.  Don't let anyone say it can't be done solo.  It's really rewarding when you do it on your own.

I took this bull last year still hunting the shot was 38yds. 

Attachments

• IMG_0479 (600x450).jpg
    IMG_0479 (600x450).jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 21
I've hunted solo since the 50's. I use still hunting in dark timber as a method. I enjoy it the best of all the methods. I almost never call. If I screw up and break a twig i'll give a cow call to mask my mistake. Otherwise I don't want to give up my position by calling.

Great bull MaxHunter that is awesome! I'm enjoying the tips here as I end up solo 90% of the time. I seam to do well finding the elk and getting within 150 yards or so, just haven't been able to seal the deal beyond that point. I always seam to bump cows.....

I cant even remember the last time I took an elk with a hunting partner , its got to be close to 15 or so elk ago, Either way keep in mind there are a lot of variables , time of the rut , bull with or without cows, age of bull, ( bull to cow ratio, one of the most important), morning ,midday or evening. they all play a factor, no one method covers it all . Unfortunately you learn from close calls, there will be lots of them ,Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back