Whole New Respect

Matt Burke

Jan 2, 2013
I recently spent countless hours hunting a particular Muley in the Tucson Mountains. Each time I went out, I encountered him. Unfortunately, his instinct out-witted my archer capability. I stalked within 90 yards, and set-up an ambush without avail. Each time he would maneuver out of ethical shooting distance. He never knew I was there multiple times, but seem to make the right decisions to stay alive. I use to think of Archery hunting as challenging. Now I think it plain difficult. My hats off to those hard working successful bow hunters.

I agree with everything you said.  I also THINK that trying to stalk a muley with a bow could probably be one of the most difficult things to do.  Its one of the reasons I'm not even thinking archery when it comes to deer hunting here in Nevada.  I just don't think I'm good enough to get close unless I sit a water hole and get LUCKY!

I do not think I would have the patience to after mule deer with my bow. I think I will stick to whitetail and Hog.

I am sure that there are tricks and advantages that you can and will learn as it relates to stalking muleys but you either need a master who has been there/done that before or else learn from the school of hard knocks.  Best of luck as you have my respect!

I totaly understand what you are saying. Here in the sage brush and open wheat fields of central washington bow hunting is a challenge. I have not gotten a buck with my bow yet, even though I am addicted to the challenges that are presented, I will keep going succeed oneday. ;D

I will be heading into the Santa Ritas in the morning to chase Javelina and antlers. i hope i wrap a tag or 2.

This is the sole reason that I love Bowhunting.  It is really easy to sit on a mountain with a rifle and take your animal at long distances, it is another to get into their house and get close to a Muley with a bow and kill one successfully. 

That is why I love the challenge. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back