Wolves and Elk in Idaho

atxboise

Jul 31, 2013
This summer i have been doing a TON of scouting in units 43 and 48 (s. fork of boise and sun valley area).  I have noticed something interesting, and it could be coincidence or i could just be on to something.  It seems like i see more deer and elk closer to human activity than i do when i get deep into the back country.

For instance, around Ketchum Sun Valley area i see a lot of game within 3-4 miles off the main highways.  Any deeper than that, and i just dont see anything.

Same around Featherville and Fairfield. 

Here is my theory, and tell me if I'm on drugs. 

My thinking is that wolves are in the deep backcountry avoiding human contact, and that there is a buffer between the wolves and human activity that the deer and the elk thrive in. 

Have at it, tell me what you think...

Are you seeing more wolf sign in deep?  Is there a difference in habitat or elevation deep vs close that would play into the elk being closer in this time of year?  Generally, I'd think the wolves would be wherever their food source is.

Reading your post made me think. I hunt 39 and 43 every year for deer and elk. I have been hunting the same ridge 's for the past 10 years. Now I dont and not really able to hike in more than 2-3 miles from the road (to fat). But I am seeing more critters each year deer and elk. I used to never see elk in these area's, now I am seeing elk every trip up.
So if this is a change in the critters, good for me.
By the way I drew cow elk unit 45 this year. I think this might be the year I fill my wolf tag finally.

Well, my theory was blown this weekend.  Was scouting with my friend who drew a supertag, (yes we saw some huge bulls) and was talking to some ranchers around Juniper mountain.  Turns out they've taken out a couple wolves.  Came right in to take  some calves.  Guess you're right, they will go where the food is, even if its right at the ranch.

I have hunted 39 for years, and have never seen any wolves either. although i know there are there.  I have noticed that there seem to be more visible elk.  I wonder if they are just pushed around more?

Thanks for the replys!

They have been seen in the foothills around Mountain Home, plus I came across a kill along the SFB a couple years back with nothing but wolf tracks and blood everywhere. In lower 43 I have seen many tracks.

I would agree with your assessment not just your conclusion of a buffer zone. I know for a fact that elk are coming in closer to human activity and are willing to sacrifice being closer to humans to stay away from wolves. Look at all the lower level elevation game units (i.e lower hells canyon, weiser zone, owyhees, south hills etc.) all these zones are seeing a huge rise in elk population in the agriculture areas because they are being driven out of the wilderness. F&G admits that the wilderness is being hammered and suffering, but for some reason they won't admit the elk are moving to lower elevation/human present areas. I think it is because they realize they have a problem and depredation is becoming a problem in these areas just go look at the seasons in these areas. Lots of cow hunts are starting to pop up.

Agreed.  Areas where the elk have been in years past show zero activity since the re-introduction.  Elk are being seen closer to humans and in areas where they can see all around, open meadows.  A lot of guys I work with are seeing the same thing.

+1 in the panhandle.  We talked to a landowner that said prereintrodction he never had any elk all winter, since the late 90's he's feeding 60-70 head each year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back