Wolves in pioneer zone

westernarcher

Jul 15, 2013
Anybody have any news on wolf activity this year in Pioneer zone specifically 36A? I know 2 years ago there was a pack in there that had killed a horse just before we had gotten there in Sept.

I hunt this zone and I have for 19 years. I've seen one wolf. I am friends with an outfitter and they are seeing lots of elk, lots of calves, so maybe not much wolf impact.

Last I heard from a reliable source was that the wolves in that area were down to 2...I see that Zach Galifianakis is the only one left in this wolf pack since the report is now 1

horse packed spike camp in 3rd week of august.  Heard wolves howling that morning and lots of wolf sign.  looked like a single adult with a couple of young ones.  No elk sign where there is typically lots.  Hunted opening weekend, drainage where we heard howling no fresh elk sign to be found lots of sign looked to be 2-3 weeks old.  next drainage over we found lots of elk and a couple wolf tracks.  Hunting area for 5 years, up until this year had seen no wolf sign other than one lone track 3 years ago.  There is definitely a pack in our area with some young pups.  Hopefully they won't survive the fall and winter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back