Wolves

cliff6

Jan 24, 2015
When the wolves move into colorado andyou can't find an elk . I wonder what the Dow will do? There whole system depends on the non resident elk hunters.

I've wondered this myself. We've seen wolves in Northern Utah and I'm sure there are wolves in the Uinta Range which borders Colorado. With all those mountain ranges in Colorado and the abundant wildlife, I can't imagine wolves not making their way there. Once they do, I fear the majority of the state politicians which lean a little farther left than I will not pass state regulations until it's far too late to manage wolf populations.

Better start hunting in Southern Colorado so you can enjoy a few years!

Idaho is full of wolves. They are making their way into Nevada as we speak. I have spotted a large pack approximately 10 miles into Nevada and the Fish and Game doesn't want to admit they are there. Its just a huge epidemic that will spread state to state until we kill them all.

You just need to start being proactive today.  Start pushing trapping classes with conservation groups, friends and the DOW, it's the only way to consistently keep after them.  Keep pushing the DOW to get their plan together before they become an issue, cause once your having an issue it's tough to recover.  Lastly keep your head on, you have a ton of elk and yes wolves kill elk but with the foundation of elk your starting with the doomsday end of the world thought process is not all it's cracked up to be, and I don't think it helps our cause most of the time.  I hunt one of the units that takes more wolves in Idaho than most and am still into elk everyday.

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHBoy!! They have more right to be there than humans do. Sorry I believe that way but I will never believe they hurt the Elk population permanently, otherwise, Elk would be extinct. It's human predation and the fact that they must control everything that affects the populations. No one says anything about the people who keep building cabins all over Colorado. They crowd Elk out.  The only people who are against wolves seem to be Elk hunters. HMMM.

^^^^^ the uneducated fools of the world never fail to amaze me^^^^

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/2015/mar/09/lolo-wolves-killed-give-famous-elk-herd-break/

here is one of many articles  that will help

When I was in my late Teens, many years ago, a Conservation officer told me this.
Some times Sportsman just need to take matters into there own hands,  ( SOS ) Shoot, Shovel and Shut up. JMHO.

Kevin

Passin thru said:
OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHBoy!! They have more right to be there than humans do. Sorry I believe that way but I will never believe they hurt the Elk population permanently, otherwise, Elk would be extinct. It's human predation and the fact that they must control everything that affects the populations. No one says anything about the people who keep building cabins all over Colorado. They crowd Elk out.  The only people who are against wolves seem to be Elk hunters. HMMM.
wow, really? Um..... People are little more important than animals (ok a lot!) and yes wolves are very capable of wiping out the elk, if not wisely managed. People brought them to this area, and the ones they brought in are bigger and more aggressive than the ones that were here originally, so if you want things natural they should be removed. Oh and yes humans are natural  ;)

Passin Thru - I'm not sure what to make of your post. I completely agree with you regarding people building mcmansions that double as cabins in remote and not so remote mountain locations which are prime elk (all wildlife) habitat. This is an issue that most people often overlook or fail to bring up in the overall discussion.

The wolf to elk/moose problem is an issue that goes well beyond mcmansions though. While I believe wolves are part of the overall ecosystem they like any other species should be managed as a part of that ecosystem and not to run as they will. I believe this is required primarily because we humans have changed the overall ecosystem with our expansion and increased population, and therefore animals traditional ability to achieve balance within the ecosystem is not playing by the same rules as in century's past. Add to that our desire as hunters to be the manager of wildlife is in conflict with what is sounds like is your theory of let them play and reach homeostasis on their own.

Welcome to Elk101. Hope you can add to the discussions and community here.

ktowncamo said:
Passin Thru - I'm not sure what to make of your post. I completely agree with you regarding people building mcmansions that double as cabins in remote and not so remote mountain locations which are prime elk (all wildlife) habitat. This is an issue that most people often overlook or fail to bring up in the overall discussion.

The wolf to elk/moose problem is an issue that goes well beyond mcmansions though. While I believe wolves are part of the overall ecosystem they like any other species should be managed as a part of that ecosystem and not to run as they will. I believe this is required primarily because we humans have changed the overall ecosystem with our expansion and increased population, and therefore animals traditional ability to achieve balance within the ecosystem is not playing by the same rules as in century's past. Add to that our desire as hunters to be the manager of wildlife is in conflict with what is sounds like is your theory of let them play and reach homeostasis on their own.

Welcome to Elk101. Hope you can add to the discussions and community here.

You are correct we have changed the balance completely and i think that some times that get left out of the equation i mean take elk for example there were 7 subspecies now there are barely 4 that was done by us also saving those 4 was done by us i realize we want to get back to the eco norm but that ship has sailed it needs to be heavily regulated on each species we reintroduce.

Cowboystl1 - yup, I completely agree. We've reached a point that now it requires regulation without argument!

It's easy for people to say we need more wolves when they are not affected by them, the gentle man I work for has lost 6 cows to wolves, that's about a $12000 loss, only 3 were eaten, 2 were still alive when found (not able to be saved) 1 cow had been rubbing it's head back and forth trying to get up for so long the hide was wore off one side of her head. I know of other ranchers that have lost more. Wolves killed one of the few remaining moose in this area about 1/2 mile from our house, they didn't eat it. The financial and wildlife loss in Idaho has been huge.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back