worth the effort

I wonder this as well and how many have had them stolen?  I only hunt Public Land and have heard of too many stories of "lost" cameras.

I use them all the time, and love them! I did have one stolen (it was in a fireproof, locked case with a chain and 2 padlocks)....they cut the tree down it was attached to and slid the chain off the tree....I'm sure they spent quite a while getting into it when they got home.... :)

Other than that one time, I haven't had any issues with people messing with them.

They are definately worth the money, just be sure to secure them...I have locks on each one of mine and in the woods of NID if I did not have cameras I would not have known how many
quality bulls are in the area.

They can be a great scouting tool for an area that you're unfamiliar with, and want to see the volume of animals moving through that area.  I had my first camera stolen a couple years back, since then I have been securing them in the metal lock/bear boxes with a cable lock.  No problems since then.  I also suggest the boxes because bears, and even elk become curious, and can really damage a camera. 

In the past few years it's become more of a hobby for me than a scouting tool.  Like some guys like to hunt sheds, I like to hunt spots to set up trail cams.  I love viewing photos from a good camera setup, it's like Christmas when I was a kid!

Definitely worth the effort, get out in the woods more and get cool pictures if nothing else, but I think they can be used effectively for scouting an area. 

After 2 years of hanging one on a wallow I am changing how I hunt next year. 

I'm going to sit.  I am always a run and gun guy and loves it.  But after not having a shot last year at even a cow I'm rethinking. I have a wallow that the last two years has given me 150 pics a year with at least three different six points each year and lots of rags.  The second part of the story is a local archery club guy broke his foot and sat a wallow out of lack of being able to walk and got a beautiful 360 bull.  Don't get me wrong, I will still run and gun, but I have to give sitting a try after what I'm seeing. 

They are worth it, i use it to get down the pattern of elk and see lots of other game without being there.

By taking a chance and placing your camera on public land you maybe be rewarded with awesome pictures or you may come back to find that it had been stolen.  It's the chance I'm willing to take to give me that edge during the upcoming season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back