100gr vs 125gr

troyc

Jan 2, 2013
So I know this will be controversial topic, however I simply want a pole of how many people shoot 100gr vs 125gr broadheads for elk.  I am not concered with deer or other animals just elk.
I have some friends that swear by one weight or the other and I have killed with both but I am interested to know what the majority of folks are shooting.

100 Grain and 340 arrow, I use to use 400 grain arrow and 125 broad, made the switch for better kinetic and penetration...

125, out of necessity.  short guy, short arrows, heavy broadheads for penetration....

Snowcrest 6, how short are you and what is your draw?  I have been teetering on the idea of going with 125 grain broadheads.

I recently switched over to 125's to get a bit more weight.  I also have a fairly short DL at 27"

This year I'm going with a 125 gr Solid Broadhead with 1/2" bleeder. Total arrow weight is 440 gr on a full metal jacket, 285 fps out of my RPM 360. Shooting nice 4-5" groups out to 60 yards. The Solid head flies better for me than any other broadhead I have tested.

Just FYI, there is an awesome Head to Head article coming out in the upcoming Fall issue of Extreme Elk Magazine that takes a look at proper arrow setups for elk, and assesses FOC, spine, etc...it's interesting to see the results of different combinations, and how FOC plays a big part in proper tuning of an arrow...

I'm currently shooting 100 grains, but may consider bumping up to 125's... :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back