1st Rifle Colorado "Home Run Units"?

scotttgill

Jun 15, 2018
Getting ready to apply for a 1st season rifle tag and I pretty much know where I'm planning to hunt (OTC 2nd week if I don't draw). However, when I fill out my draw application, I wanna put some "home run units" on there that if, for some odd reason, I have remarkable luck and I could draw. What are some of those units you guys suggest? I had free access to Go Hunt.com last year which is how I narrowed down my realistic chances, but I never really looked at the star-studded units. I'm a first time elk hunter, non-resident, so I have 0 points if that helps with my question.

Thanks in advance...

P.S. Sorry I haven't been on the forum in a while. Once the school year starts (I'm a teacher and a coach), life gets pretty "western."

First question would be can you draw your 1st season rifle tag you want on your 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice?  If not, it's a moot point looking at other possible units.

If you CAN draw your preferred tag on a 2nd choice, I'd go to the CPW website and pull up the statistics page.  There used to be a minimum preference point page which lists all of the units and how many points it took for Res and Non-Res.  Not sure if that still exists since I quit using points a few years back.

Good luck!

Colorado is different than other states in that you cannot get lucky and hit a home run. It's all based on how many preference points you have. With zero points, you are basically limited to going after hunts that require zero points. Anything other than that probably won't happen.

Hope that helps!

Gotta have 5 pref points in CO before your eligible to hit a "Home Run" in the Random Draws.  Hope that helps!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back