2012 Archery Bull NM

airmanharv08

Jan 4, 2013
First archery bull (first bull in general) taken this past September 2012 in NM. One of the most defying and exhilarating days I every had! Is it September yet?!?!?! 212 days to go!!!

Attachments

• Resized.jpg
    Resized.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 10
Yeah the story would be nice. Wil Primos said on one of his videos that shooting an elk gives enough energy to kill a man. Got my first one this past fall also and Wil was right as you now know. Just wanted to bust out of my skin, I even hugged my hunting partner going around in circles.. :)

Fullabull said:
Ok Airman.... Great pic, nice bull....only one thing missing.... The Story!!! :)

I apologize y'all. It was late and I figured I'd give just a taste.

This hunt occurred on the Navajo reservation and I drew both a elk and deer archery license. I've hunted the unit before (2011) which is nestled in the Chuska mountain range bordering NM and AZ. From previous encounters/experiences I had a well defined layout of the area and a good idea of what animals inhabited the area from previous scouting trips and the usage of a game camera. I wasn't going to let another blown opportunity from the year before discourage me this September 2012.

As I arrived to the dirt road that dwindled deeper to my hunting location, I was accompanied by my best friend who we've had numerous hunting trips together. As we arrived to our camping location it was roughly 11 pm and quickly arranged the necessary hunting items we needed for the morning as we all know comes quickly. Pitched tent and quickly went to bed. Woke up a little later then we would have liked and moved towards the area we've scouted and strategically placed my game camera. From the pictures acquired we knew of 4 decent bulls and roughly 10+ other bulls were located and nestled on this mountain side. The herd of elk roughly estimated around 80+, it was a great location, and knew the trails coming from their bedding grounds to the open valley to the stream and pond they frequented. We also knew the area was heavily populated with black bears (which I will be putting in this upcoming hunting season) and the great chance of seeing one within bow range was highly possible.
Continuing southward we stumbled across a 5x5 bull who gave us an opportunity to glance at him as he quickly stopped and bolted soon after we came to our senses that they're already 2/3 up the mountain. The morning continued and we made our way to the valley and decided to move towards their bedding grounds after we took a look at the camera and seen the herd already came through early that morning, roughly 20 minutes ahead of us. Made our way above and noticed 4 bucks, one in which was a nice 180"+/- 10" wide was heading away from the elk beds northbound, I had deer tag and we pursued, tried to get ahead by using an old logging road, to no avail, we got busted by their sentry does, by this point it was roughly 11 am. Decided to slowly make our way back to camp, this was because my friend Dustin had to leave for for the afternoon hunt (Saturday) and miss Sunday as well, but he would be back by Monday. Granted this was all planned before hand.
He left and I was the only one left on the mountain, knowing the main herd was bedded I decided to head back to the "freeway" as I called the game trail that was used to the pond. Again from the pictures I had determined that several elk were making their rounds to the water around 4 pm. It was now 2 pm as I made sat in natural blind, small oak trees encompassed a flat rock that became my blind. Several minutes went by, soon a half an hour, then an hour. What would happen in the next hour completely took my breath away. I nice boar came into bow range, 42 yards and I watched him for 10 minutes as we went to the "communication tree" that was right by the "freeway," I knew the possibility I'd see a bear but one that size wasn't making me feel comfortable, I estimated him to be roughly 280lbs, and he began to breath a little bit heavily for a few minutes, I decided the best thing I would do was to shout and spoke him out, knowing I could potentially scare not only him but other game within shouting distance. I shouted and like lightning the bear bolted NW and quickly as the bear arrived he was gone. I've a elk/buck fever before, but my heart beat had to be disturbing everything around me, as it was extremely loud, it raced continuously for a few minutes and I spent the time breathing slowly and getting to calm down. Another half an hour went by and I began to wonder? Where are the elk that have been pretty steadily coming in at 4 to 6 pm? Did I spook them out by yelling at that bear? As soon as I came to answering these question in my head, my peripheral vision quickly detected antlers coming through the oak, and pine trees to my left. COULD IT BE! YUP!!!! There walking on the "freeway" was a nice 6x6 gracefully walking, lip curling, and almost wanting to chuckle but no sound, just motion. I couldn't believe I had a bull within bow distance on the first day and he had no idea that I was there. He moved north towards the pond and by passed my game camera, through that brief 2 minutes, I managed to get to one knee and positioned my bow to draw. I had a reed call in my mouth ready to "mew" to stop him. The next minute was critical, I had to stop him with his right front quarter positioned back. As he passed a little spruce I drew, I knew at the spot the tree was at 30 yards and he would roughly be 31 yards away, I methodically placed the 30 yard pin a hair high on vitals and called, he braked quickly and looked towards my direction. I slowly pulled my release trigger and what turned out to an eternity pull was surely just a few seconds, the arrow was off!! I saw my arrow enter and exit right through the lungs a lil higher then the heart, but I knew the Shuttle T did it's deed. He bolted west and quickly as he left I heard him crash, I was overcome with extreme delight. It finally happen, 3 years of pursuing bull elk with a bow and I've finally did it! By myself but not without help from friends and family. I found him ten minutes after and I knew he had at least 4 points on each antler but to my surprised I saw he was bigger then I expected and all I got to say is WOW! Till next season. :D 8) ;)

Thanks for the story, it is funny how easy it happens, when it happens. But it takes years of exciting attempts, failures and disappointments to get there....Congrats

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back