2014 Co. harvest stats.

According to a person I spoke with last year who knows people inside CPW, the elk herd sizes and elk harvest estimates are not very accurate.

For the elk herd in my unit, they finally dropped the herd size by 2,000. Hunters who have hunted there for decades had already told me that the elk numbers were way down from a decade ago. So, why did it take the CPW so long to adjust the estimated size of that herd?

Since the harvest surveys can be done online, why not survey everyone?

On the other hand, the deer counts are considered more accurate. Apparently, back in the 90\'s, the CPW had overestimated the deer population and underestimated the elk population. Hence, the reason they went to limited draw for deer. It was the end to OTC deer licenses.

If you want an understanding of the herd in your GMU and how CPW manages the herd size & sex ratios, find out the DAU (Data Management Unit) for the species and then look at the DAU report. They do not do the report for a DAU every year. The DAU reports are an interesting read.
http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/HerdManagementPlans.aspx Click on the word Map for the species to find your DAU for that species, then click on the species\' DAU to download the DAU report.

Brad likely has much better information than I do.

I dont put much into the harvest stats. They be a baseline at best.

I study the hunt recap and drawing summaries a lot.
They show PP and how many people are putting in for each unit

As far as archery OTC, well, the old saying \'90% of the hunters kill 10% of the elk\' has been tried and true for a long time
so I stick with that data

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back