2015 Co Buck

Stoneman

Apr 27, 2016
Do you guys want to hear another deer story? I posted it on another site and thought some of you might want to read it as well? I was not on this site until recently so it did not make the 2015 BTO meat pole.

evening sunset after hanging my second stand

Attachments

• 1 beecher sunrise.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 564
After 11 days of hunting I figured I had already had my best days on stand. There had been several nice bucks in the area and all I had to show for it were a few close encounters and several missed opportunities.

Regardless, day 12 and I was up and now ready to put some meat in the freezer. The expectations had changed but the drive and desire to hunt were just as strong as day 1. The plan was to sit the morning until 9am or maybe even 10:00 and then pull out and head home. It had been a good hunt and as I mentioned, there had been missed opportunities. Each day during the fall we lose a few minutes of daylight leading up to the winter solstice. However, my internal clock was not synchronized with this astronomical phenomenon so I would be getting up the same time and following the same pattern each day. November 21st had me in the stand at the same time although today it would take 20 or 30 minutes longer to get light. Lots of dark time to reflect on the last few days and now what I needed to do to wrap up camp and head home not knowing if I would make it back out this year. Just then it dawned on me that I had forgot to put the generator away and it was now a sitting (red) duck just waiting for someone to drive by my camp and see it sitting there ready to be liberated. It took me about 5 seconds to realize this was too much of a temptation. I left my bow hanging, climbed down and backtracked out to my truck and then back to camp to rescue the generator. All the while knowing this is when I should be in the stand on full alert. Oh well... After quickly securing the generator inside my small camper, I turn and bun back to the stand. Now I had been in and out / back and forth twice taking my scent and noise with me. What had started out as a crisp November morning with a fresh blanket of snow full of hopes was now reduced to, how long will I sit before pulling the stand and heading out.

It was now about 6:15 am and even thought well past first light, it was still early and with any luck I might still get a chance to punch my tag.

I sat for 15 or 20 minutes to let the dust settle and then lightly rattled the antlers. Early on I had been using the antlers as this has worked for me in the past. I always hang at least 2 stands so I have a choice depending on the wind and what I am seeing morning and evening. Stand 1 had to be moved this year as the old cottonwood was just getting big at the base to safely secure my climbing sticks. I only moved about 40 yards but the location proved to be all wrong for approaching deer. One of the mornings I rattled in a tall 4x4 that I would have gladly shot. He came in fast but stopped short as he could see everything he needed from the edge of the trees. He ended up making a wide circle around me staying just out of my range. The next buck I rattled in came down the tree line right under my original tree. This was a wide 5x5 with a drop tine, another crusher for sure. I would never see this buck again. Moving to stand 2 and the first time I would see this buck, after a rattle sequence he came in slowly keeping a wide berth. I snort wheezed and he turned but would not stop, continuing to circle my location. As he headed away almost 270 degrees from where he first appeared I made the mistake of snort wheezing again. He stopped, turned, and looked again, this time it was more to mark me and where the call was coming from. Seeing no bucks, he walked away and I knew it was over. This was day 4 or 5 of the first week and while I would see this buck again, he would never get closer than 70 or 80 yards. I contemplated moving my stand but this buck would never use the same rout and more calling was not going to work. I was still seeing other bucks and while this buck had made a lasting impression, I was still optimistic since I was still waiting for the rut to kick in. Seemed this year it was a week or so late.

Another snow storm had passed and there had been days it seemed the wind never stopped. Those days are slow since not much moves but the tree branches and grass. It was the second Thursday and I was back in the stand early that evening even though the wind had not yet let up. Then around 4pm it just stopped. I had made the decision to kill the first buck that gave me a good shot. I looked the north and saw a young 3x3 that had been under the stand many times already. He had a good size body and would be good eating. As he crossed well to the north he was on alert, I looked back to the west and there was the big buck aggressively chasing a doe. She was zigzagging back and forth across the pasture with no more than feet between them. There was a fawn in tow that seemed confused by the whole escapade and it would just stand there and pick her mom up as she came back around time again and again. I was on full alert, this is just what I needed, that doe to come under my stand with him hot on her tail. I lost track of them in the trees and all of sudden the rustle of leaves had both the doe and fawn 10 yards below me. She nervously looked back and forth. I was ready to draw just as soon as he appeared. I waited (we waited) but nothing. I looked back to the west and the buck was just standing there 70 yards out. He just stood there as if to say, I am not going near that tree. Then something I have never seen, the doe turned and trotted back to the buck, lifted her tail and took him into the tree line to the north. The fawn and I could not believe our eyes and all I could think was, I won?t see him again.

Then the rustle of leaves again and as the 3x3 walked directly under my stand, I just hung my bow up and sat down.

Back at camp, I replayed the evening?s events. I could have killed the small buck, but it didn?t matter. What a great evening in the deer woods. Knowing I would probably not see the big buck again, I still felt confident that Friday would yield something. Friday morning I was not sharp. I sat too long, well past when I should have been standing, at the ready. I was sitting when the next hot doe and buck came running into my set. At first I was excited but then seeing it was another young buck, I stood and grabbed my bow not taking any precautions. Young or old, you rarely get way with that kind of movement and he busted me, leaving me sitting there. Now I was pissed at myself, I know better. The wind picked up so I bagged it and went back to camp. Even though it was still blowing past noon, I was on stand early. It was a long cold, windy, night on stand. I went to bed with the camper rocking from each gust. Around 2:00 am I woke to silence. Perfect, maybe the wind was done! Then around 3:30 am I woke to what sounded like a train coming, gale force winds down the river bottom! At this point, I thought I would just sleep in and pack up and go in the morning. But when it was time to get up for real it was dead quite again. I looked out and there was blanket of fresh snow, crisp and cold. Perfect!

Now it is 6:45am (back in the stand) and I am rattling for the second time. This sequence I get aggressive? nothing. Around 7:10 I look to the south about 600 yards and see a nice buck cruising the tree line on the other side of the river. I bang the antlers together, he stops and briefly looks then continues on his mission. Nothing to lose I smash the antlers together again and again, this buck only slows but never really looks my way again. Out of now where I hear a buck thrashing a Russian olive on my side of the river not 100 yards away. I turn to my left to hang the antlers and grab my bow and when I get back around, there is a big buck heading my way all bristled up and stiff legged. I am facing him and see it is the same buck from Thursday night and the same buck that circled me over a week ago.

This time he was not stopping and has nothing on his mind but to kick my ass. He dropped his head to destroy a young juniper just 20 yards in front of me, it seemed like forever but it was probably just minutes when he looked up and turned. The arrow was on its way. I watched him as he bound back to river then piling up throwing dirt and snow into the air. I looked at my watch, 7:22 am and I could hardly believe what just happened.

Attachments

• 3 arrow ac rs 085.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 547
Dang that\'s a awesome buck. :upthumb: Way to stick with it.

Did you get him mounted?

Just to throw this out.... You shot a massive whitetail in..... COLORADO!!!
I\'m no expert, but 167\" gross?

I\'m gonna go dream of that drop tine buck now.
If you don\'t mind me asking, is that public or private.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back