2015 Moose Hunt in Idaho Panhandle

OldBones

Jul 1, 2015
Drew a long season Moose tag for area 1-1 (Priest Lake area) in Idaho.  Saw a string from last year of a successful hunter and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to potential hot spots.  I'm heading over tomorrow to scout then on to Mont. for the 4th of July.  Season starts Sept. 15th thru Dec.1  Hope someone reads this.

I don't know any areas in unit 1-1 but congrats on the tag. My Mom drew the same tag for unit 1-2. Good luck scouting. Seems like the hardest part of moose hunting used to be getting the tag but since wolves have been reintroduced it's a much harder hunt than it used to be.

I did make a quick trip over to the area just before the 4th of July and visited with both a US Forest Service forester and a State forester.  Neither think I will have any problems but I was surprised at the density of the timber and steepness of the terrain.  I did manage to see a cow and calf near a water hole.  Very dry over there now.  They were fighting a small fire in heavy timber from a lightning strike.  Thanks for the feedback.

Congrats on the tag and best of luck. Sorry i have no info for you but some of the guys on here have posted some good ideas.

Couple of friends have hunted it.  They just laugh and say Moose are all over the Unit.  You'll see lots, you just have to put time in and pass the smaller bulls and you will get a good bull. One did cough up lamb and binarch creeks, but you have to watch the border. 

Any luck yet with moose? We have only hunted for my Moms moose for two days but we have seen 4 bulls and one cow so far. She would have shot one bull but his head was in brush and by the time we determined he was really nice he had enough of us and bolted down a steep brushy hillside and we never caught up with him again.

A week ago I was hunting the end of archery elk season and I saw two bulls and three cows in a clearcut. The bull that had the hot cow with him was immense and the other one was pretty nice too. Unfortunately they were on the wrong side of the highway for my Moms tag.

Hope you are getting into them, good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back