2016 Elk

bcnorth

Mar 23, 2018
Took this bull on October 6, 2016, region 7B BC. Was able to set up above the herd and watch for 6 hours until he finally showed himself.

There were two satellite bulls that stayed just outside of the group of cows so I knew there had to be a bigger bull than the 5x4 and 3x3.

I froze my butt off waiting. I climbed a mountain and was damp with sweat, the wind picked up and it was 17F with 10 inches of snow. I was above treeline with only a few shrubs to hide myself and a few cows decided to mill around and then bed just below so that I couldn't move a muscle for an eternity.

When he showed up, he started checking the cows and I waited until he presented a broadside shot. I cant tell you how excited I was to be able to start moving, warm up, and thank this beautiful bull for the meat he provided to my family.

After processing the bull, i headed back to camp to round up the gang to help with the pack out. I hit fresh grizzly tracks just at dark with still 1.5km to basecamp but made it back unscathed!

Best tasting animal ive ever taken. Wife actually got mad at me one day when i cooked up one of the last packs of meat without her! We have a young bull moose from 2017 that is great tasting but just not as good as this elk.

Beautiful bull!
That is some great patience for sure. It's amazing how much we can put ourselves through just to get to that point of success.

We posted a motivational picture with a quote today and it reminds me of your story.

"It's tough to beat a person who never gives up." -Babe Ruth.

Way to not give up.  :upthumb:

Shot was downhill about 175 yards and 60% slope.

The hunt was a big lesson on patience. I always get ants in my pants and feel the need to hike farther, check out the next ridge, gully, basin.

Solid bull. Good job. I lack on the patience area myself. Good job with the wait and shot!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back