2016 idaho elk

day 13 sept 20

no frost! but everything was covered in dew.....

so much for sleeping in. that pair from Washington motored up on their 4 wheeler at 0623 hours..... i heard terry get up shortly after, i got up too since i couldn\'t fall back asleep and i heard a diesel truck coming up the road.

the couple were from Idaho, near boise. they had a trailer with a horse. they were going way in...... after getting geared up and a little chit chat. they headed up.

the pair from Washington came back already. they were hoping for another melee like yesterday. and when it didn\'t happen, they came right back....

we didn\'t have much to pack up! so it was easy going that morning. the plan was to freshen up at the hot spring again and then have a burger at that joint again.

the hot spring was glorious, especially after how sweaty and slimy i was yesterday.

the burger did not disappoint us again :upthumb:

we split up after that and went our separate ways.

matt and i sure did have a lot to talk about on the trip home! he is definitely hooked :D

we went through several rain storms all the way back from Idaho.......

our view from big timber, Montana
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->IMG_1655.JPG<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

day 14 sept 21

we are home..... we pulled into matts driveway at 10 am. both of us already wish we were back in Idaho :(

back to reality :downthumb:

some final thoughts........

i did not prepare myself enough this year! i was struggling with finding enthusiasm..... the last 2 season were very emotional for me. i told matt this but not terry. but, i wasn\'t sure that i was even going, until i actually bought my tag. i was afraid that either by the grace of god or from my own personality traits, that i might have another negative hunt..... and i wasn\'t sure if i could handle another one.

but, it was matt that helped me. to see his enthusiasm for this hunt and how hard that he trained for it and prepared himself for it. i felt that i owed it to him to give him a shot at what it is to be an elk hunter. i even had a good feeling about him getting one. he thought that i jinxed him :lol:

what was amazing, was that my premonition came true!!!!! matt was destined to get that bull. that bull did everything that an elk shouldn\'t do..... we were moving and we were talking and that bull just stood there!

us three made a great wolf pack this year. and it renewed my enthusiasm and made me remember what i love about elk hunting.

so next year i will not be unprepared :agg:

and i will get to give a friend his first opportunity at elk hunting next year in Wyoming :D

thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings. like last year, i hope it was entertaining to read :upthumb:

[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->IMG_0894.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

i dont remember when matt took this...... the goofy cat :lol:

Great write up Gary. Thanks for taking the time to share it all with us. Sounds like one heck of a awesome hunt! :upthumb:

Great tale, story or what ever you want to call it.... :D :D

I know all of you had a great hunt and time together.... :upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:

we sure did phil!
I am already planning next years Wyoming hunt with another friend Jamie!

Awesome write up once again Gary, thanks for taking us along! But Wyoming? Really? Are you not seeing enough elk at your current location? :lol:

Honestly, sounds like you had one heck of a hunt and saw more elk in one trip than many will see in a lifetime. Congrats to all three of you on a successful hunt! I\'m already looking forward to the report from next year :upthumb:

this hunt in Wyoming has been 3 years in the making! we have accumulated 3 points, enough to draw in the unit. more importantly, we have been invited by his buddy who lives in buffalo and will get us into the elk there ;) he has killed some dandies!

to be honest. I would rather go back to Idaho next year, especially after this hunt!!! its going to be a long 2 years..... but I am excited to try add a new state to my list. and its a 12 hour drive instead of 20 :clap:

I suppose I could leave directly from there and head to Idaho afterwards, since Idaho is otc :lol:

I read our 2016 hunt again. Can't wait to do it again. One heck of a great job writing it up Gary. Thanks again...........

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back