2016 Montana DIY for my 1st elk hunt

Mike Vines

Feb 23, 2014
Alright, I have read WAY to many threads and stories about hunting elk, that I can wait no longer to hunt them. I just finished up a 2 week DIY moose hunt, and had a lot of time to think while on that hunt, and while thinking, I realized I'm much more at "Home" in the mountains.

Back in 2013, I did a DIY mule deer hunt in Wyoming that culminated in a massive (to me) 4x4 mulie.  It was then that the spark inside was ignited and my love of the mountains took a firmer grip.  I'm a longbow and wood arrow hunter that still uses maps and a compass.  I'm ready to commit myself to what it takes to hunt elk.  The military instilled in me the will to never give up and keep moving forward no matter the obstacle placed before you.

With all that said, I've decided to make the drive from Michigan to Montana, in 2016, to begin my elk hunting adventures (while I build points in WY).

Here is my question...Where the heck should I begin?  I have never once stepped foot in Montana, but this gives me an awesome reason to do so.  Can anyone recommend a place for me to start my search?  Honestly, I don't care about size of a bull, I'm a meat hunter.  I know Montana has bears and wolves, and I have no worries or concerns with sharing the woods with them.

I understand the saying "once it's on the Internet, it's there forever", so an email/ PM would work just fine.  My email is miklvines@gmail.com

I'm not looking for any "Honey Holes", just some help getting me pointed in the right direction.  I figure, what better place to ask, than from the guys who know what they are talking about.

Thank you in advance,

Mike

I grew up in Montana. I grew up in the west half. Pretty much everywhere west of Bozeman all the way to the Idaho border is pretty good haha. I do know there are elk out by Miles City, but it isn't mountain hunting. I would say call a biologist or two and see what they have to say. Once you narrowed it down from what part of the state you choose let me know. If it is close to where I grew up I can give you some places that I know of. But I will let you decide where exactly you want to hunt that way in case you don't get anything it wasn't my fault haha.

I would start by taking the Elk University Online Course on this site.  I've bowhunted elk for two years so I'm fairly new but I'm learning a lot from this course.  I haven't finished it yet, but there is a ton of information in there that can help you out and answer a lot of questions.

Just a fair warning.... Once you go elk hunting, you WILL be hooked.  I'm talking a real addiction!!!  Welcome to elk hunting, brother!!!  LOL

I will be hunting Montana for the first time this year also; bow n rifle. Met a flight medic in training this year who rode out with me; I'm San Antonio Fire Dept, hunted Colorado; Rico area, plenty times with good results, will be hunting west of Augusta by the Bob. Been checking topos, google earth, n others. Good looking country out there can't wait to see some new country!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back