2016 Season So Far, No Good For Me

Deertick

Mar 2, 2014
Well, I knew this year would be tough.

I would be hunting first week (not ideal for vocal elk) and with my buddy\'s 17 year old son, who is an experienced outdoorsman (for 17) but had never hunted elk. And I would be back in \"my\" elk camp, one that I had decided after last year to abandon in favor of greener pastures.

Those \"Greener pastures\" never emerged, for a number of reasons, and I was already down to \"Plan D\" by opening day, heading back into the wilderness, and locking our hunt into a fixed camp, 5 miles from the road.

The first day we had almost 2\" of hail ... the whole forest was \"crunchy\" with ice for days afterward. We were able to find some vocal elk, but only after hiking another 2 miles, and the elk were another mile and 500\' lower. And they didn\'t stay vocal.

The area around camp, which had been so busy with elk all summer (trail cameras getting DAILY photos) was ... empty. ALL elk activity ended a week before we got there. I have no explanation. We ended the week without SEEING a bull.

Morale at this point is low, but realistically I know that I was operating under some difficult circumstances (timing, weather, lack of mobility due to a \"back-country\" camp) and so now I\'m home, licking my wounds and gearing up for a solo 3-day weekend hunt later in the month. I\'ll need to come up with a \"Plan Z\" for that.

I\'ve hunted long enough, though, to lose all my optimism ... I know sometimes a game-changing play can happen at any time ... it doesn\'t have to be a \"touchdown\", just something to shift the momentum. If that happens, I feel confident I can take advantage of it.

that narrows the options down, im bettin you will figure it out and be on elk before the seasons over.

I can only laugh with you on this one. Between plans blowing up in my face, plan B-D being a huge disappointment, timing of other things blowing up on me I am almost ready to throw in the towel. I may try to do a midweek trip coming up next week to see if I can make it a few nights solo but I really don\'t mind if I don\'t get out again this season. It\'s only added to the stress I\'ve placed onto myself. Sucks. :(

Sorry to hear that guys, but keep your heads up. If you need a story about how quickly things can change in an area, check out my hunt thread from last year...we went from thinking there were no elk anywhere in the vicinity to me taking a bull the next day and seeing elk again the following day. Things can change in an instant!

Things sure can change quickly ... and I\'ve hunted long enough to have seen that any number of times.

Sometimes the QB has to scramble, and sometimes he has to just tuck the ball and run, with or without blocking. Well, I haven\'t been tackled yet!

Stick with it John! Our morale is being tested as well and we are like the rookie QB making his first start. We\'ve logged about 30 miles and have yet to cut any fresh sign or even see an elk. We did actually hear a bugle yesterday. I\'ve crossed the line from discouragement to determination - we\'re not quitting whether we see one or not - we\'ve got 4 days left.

It only takes one elk to turn this whole thing around. At least that\'s what I keep telling myself :)

--Mitch

One dumb rag-horn ... that\'s all I need!

Hell, a calf is looking tasty at this point.

One thing: I like learning, but learning can be done the easy way and the hard way ... I feel pretty \"educated\" after last year and this!

\"Deertick\" said:

One thing: I like learning, but learning can be done the easy way and the hard way ... I feel pretty \"educated\" after last year and this!

I\'ve always found this to be true when hunting.... Ya can\'t shoot um if they ain\'t there... :eek: :eek:

The past 2 early teal season here have be tough simply because we have never hit a migration when they were here... Those little fast flyers are here today and gone tomorrow.... But we\'ll be back next weekend again HOPING that\'s the when they will be here.... :D :D

I said that to say this... Teal and elk are very different in size but they both do move a lot... Good thing about elk is they can be here today and for a while unless pressure moves them...

So John, go out there and do what you do best always hoping there where you are that day... :upthumb: :upthumb:

\"Deertick\" said:

I\'m definitely one of those \"have to learn the hard way\" people, but you know what... it works!!!
I hope one comes out for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back