2017 antelope

Zpd307

Aug 7, 2017
so Colby is my hunter.... and he really wants to go back to Kansas for turkeys. but, its Jacob\'s turn since ethan has expressed no desire to hunt anymore. I was wanting to take ethan to Wyoming for some speed goats this year, since 10 is the minimum age there, but back to ethan not wanting to hunt. well, Colby turns 10 in april!

so I am starting to get a speed goat hunt planned. my biggest concern is finding where to go! should I be looking for blm land or any other public. I am guessing most private land is locked up in outfitters.... and then I suppose private land gets hit hard too....

any advice would be appreciated to get me started. I am not set on any state in particular either. but I am going to start Wyoming.

also, is getting permission from ranchers hard to do for goats?

I\'d consider SD.
I believe you will need PPs to draw WY, unless you wanted doe only tags.

I believe WY has a cool program where you can ask land owners for permission and they get paid for it if they let you.

Back to what I was saying, SD has OTC areas to hunt. I think it\'s a little bit closer to you too and a good population.

wyo is out..... I thought their minimum was 10 when I checked 2 years ago. I see that its 12 :downthumb:

south Dakota is definitely a lot closer! I have a buddy on the fire dept who is from sd, but he hasn\'t been any help on the matter :lol:

Take him to Nebraska deer hunting.
All kids need to have is their hunter safety.

And tags are only $5

Thats where I started my son when he was that age with a ML

yep, checked Colorado also....

also checked Nebraska, but they only allow archery tags to nonresidents...

Montana is the only state so far that allows hunting under 12. but they are a draw state and nonresident tags have always sold out. so it looks like I would need points anyways!

I haven\'t checked Idaho yet, im not sure that I would want to drive that far for a lope....

I suppose I should start gaining points for wyo..... I should check and see if under age youth can also :roll:

\"cnelk\" said:
Take him to Nebraska deer hunting.
All kids need to have is their hunter safety.

And tags are only $5

Thats where I started my son when he was that age with a ML

Or KY. It is free for youth and no minimum age.

10-11 year olds in mn are $1 :D
I can travel to northern mn and into the vast superior national in 5 1/2 hours. its almost like out west. you can walk in any direction on public land! it even has wolves and bears and cougars :lol:

\"zpd307\" said:
10-11 year olds in mn are $1 :D
I can travel to northern mn and into the vast superior national in 5 1/2 hours. its almost like out west. you can walk in any direction on public land! it even has wolves and bears and cougars :lol:

I did my tour in N. Minnesota for 25yrs....
Nice place to be from... :)

brad, I have been working on the wife for several years now. why do you think I am taking her on this elk hunt, without me buying a tag ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back