2019 Archery Elk Hunt

Brady1

Dec 13, 2018
Hey guys i'm new Elk 101 and elk hunting in general!  Next year I am planning a archery elk hunt in Idaho and don't really know where to start as to picking a unit to hunt! As a beginner i'm not real thrilled of the idea of hunting in grizzly country and from what I've researched so far that means that basically the north and the east side of the state is out of the question. I have also heard that basically anywhere you go on public lands your going to run into other hunters.  So with that being said i want to pick a unit where if we get bumped out of one spot by other hunters then i have plenty of other options to go that aren't to far away. Don't know if we are going to set up a base camp to come back to or hunt with camp on our backs. Kind of thought that would be a decision to make depending on the water sources in the area.  I'm not looking for anybody's honey holes or anything like that but just some advice to get me in the right direction.  Also we aren't picky as to what size of bull but would just like to get into some bugling action and have some fun chasing some elk! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

No real advice on units but Idaho has no preference points so if you are buying a license anyway you might as well put in for a draw unit. It wont cost much if you already have the license and you will have as good of odds as anybody as drawing a pretty good hunt. If you don't draw then I would look for an over the counter unit.

Brady,

Welcome to elk hunting!

Yes it is safe to assume that you will run into hunters wherever you go on public land, but don't let that break your spirits. There are places you can go where the elk are hanging out and have not been pressured (yet). These places could be right at a trailhead or may be miles in... unfortunately no real easy way to tell except to be up there and find out, but some scouting and map study will be a great way to start.

Listening to the elktalk podcast (and many others) and watching the OnX map e-scouting series with Randy Newberg could be a great tool for you to get an idea on plans and backup plans, what to look for, etc...

Are you familiar with any place in Idaho you have visited before? Having a familiarity of a certain area could be a good place to start - you are familiar the rivers, roads, nearby mountains, facilities, etc... Then it's back to e-scouting, researching tags, and all that fun stuff!

Vague information I know, but you will learn more and more and more as you begin the awesome journey that is elk hunting!! Hopefully decent enough info to get you started.

Hey Brady,

I'm kind of in the same boat.  I grew up in Idaho but moved to Minnesota about 5 years ago.  I'm planning a trip back for an elk archery hunt this year in the Panhandle zone. I'm lucky because my brother still lives in Moscow and he knows the area pretty well where we're going.  I haven't hunted Elk in Idaho for years since I was in high school, and never with a bow. 

I honestly wouldn't let grizzlies influence the unit you're going to pick.  Bear attacks are pretty rare in the fall and chances are almost zero that your're going to run into one unexpectedly.  There hasn't been a fatal bear attack in Idaho for over a 100 years.  You'll probably run into or see a big timber wolf before a grizzly. Maybe bring a sidearm with you if your super worried about it.  I would probably avoid the Yellowstone area but that's about it.

As for location and other hunters, you can get a general tag for a ton of public lands in Idaho and not have to worry about drawing a tag either.  The panhandle zone where I'm going is a general tag and you have access to anywhere in the northern panhandle of the state.  The Idaho Fish and Game site has a cool hunt planner that you can follow as a guide.  You really won't have to worry about other hunters a whole lot in bow season either.  Unless it's a really popular spot.  Most of the heavy pressure comes during rifle season.

I live an hunt in north Idaho.  While grizzlies are present, and it seems every year one or two make it into the local newspaper when they wander into living areas, they are so rare its virtually a non-issue.  Carry your preferred means of defense and dont worry about them.  As for hunters.. yes they seem to get thicker every year.  Yes, it can be frustrating but its just part of the public land experience and as long as you have a few backup plans for each area you'll find places to hunt.

Same advice as some others, put in for Idaho and NM. You?ll do tons better in a spot that?s not over the counter. If OTC is all you have, find a local that can help you out. Without inside help, an OTC unit is like finding a needle in a haystack. But, you can?t find the needle if you don?t get to looking , so good luck!

No info on Idaho but my friend and I have hunted public land in Colorado for the last ten years. We come from the East. Combined we have taken 7 bulls and 1 cow. 7 with bows and 1 muzzy.  You also know there have been many close encounters that the elk won. We run into hunters all the time and elk in the same area. Last year I took a bull in an area we never hunted because trucks are always parked there. Went in there for a quick evening hunt and within a half mile of trail head called in the bull. Most of the elk have been within 2 miles of the truck. I think we just hunt harder or spend more time in the woods since we go for two weeks at a time. Very little down time on our hunts, but dont forget to take a break about 4-5 days into the hunt. Burn out can happen quick when getting up early and hunting all day for several days, your mind and body must rest occasionally. Good Luck!

NcLonghunter that?s a heck of a success rate! Were they all OTC? I?m interested in trying OTC soon just for the experience. I?ve only hunted NM for elk and it?s all Draw.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back