2019 Elk Prep Training Hikes

f16woody

Mar 26, 2018
Was wondering what the experts (i.e. all you guys) do for training hikes.  I live on the east coast (a whopping 9' elevation at my house!), so going to the mountains to shed hunt is not an option for me.  I plan to go out the the Appalachians a couple of times with my backpack and gear/food for three day/two night backcountry prep trips.
Would love to hear what others do, and any tips that you've learned through the years to make backcountry bivy style trips more efficient and/or enjoyable.

Lunges....... When you walk out to get the mail lunge your way out and back. Neighbors may look at you funny but it works. Squats are good too. You can add weight in a pack to ramp up the workout. When you can easily do a Pistol squat you are ready.

"Neighbors may look at you funny". They might not talk to you either. That alone is a good reason to do it.

If you have any tall buildings walking stairs is a good way to work the same muscles. Or get a job roofing.

Treadmill at highest incline while holding a 45 pound plate in each hand. Slow and steady works great.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back