2019 Elk Story Contest!!!

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
We are excited to introduce a new contest this year with two AWESOME prizes! This year, we are asking you to submit your story from your elk hunt. Everyone loves a good hunting story and wants to hear the results, whether you punched a tag or not. We want to hear the good and the bad, we want to hear what you learned and we want to see some pictures! We want you to bring your readers into your camp and let them feel what you experienced.

To enter this year's contest, you need to post your story as a new topic in the General Elk Hunting section. Once you have it posted, you need to copy and paste a link to that story here, as a reply, for your official entry. Entries can be submitted until December 15th. At that time, the moderators will pick the top four archery stories and the top four rifle stories and we will post them up for you all to vote on them. There will be one winner for archery and one for rifle. Voting will last for one week and the winners will be announced on December 23rd.

So, let's get to the important part. What do the winners receive?

EACH WINNER WILL RECEIVE A $250 GIFT CARD TO THE ELK101 STORE!!!

Good luck to each of you this year and we cannot wait to hear your story!

That?s really cool I hope I have a great story to tell this year ! Thank you Corey Jacobson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already know who the winner will be.... Me, because I'll get to read all the wonderful hunting stories!  Unfortunately, I  will not be able to hunt elk this year, but I'm looking forward to living the hunt vicariously through all of you.  Fun idea for a contest, thanks!

aes7.5x55 said:
I already know who the winner will be.... Me, because I'll get to read all the wonderful hunting stories!  Unfortunately, I  will not be able to hunt elk this year, but I'm looking forward to living the hunt vicariously through all of you.  Fun idea for a contest, thanks!

I'm running a close 2nd since all my future elk hunts are in my dreams. But I always look forward to everyone's tall or short tales of the hunt...

2 part story . Enjoy!
http://www.elk101.com/forums/index.php/topic,9016.msg93258.html#msg93258

https://www.elk101.com/forums/index.php/topic,9016.msg93261.html#msg93261

Elk season 2019 was by all rights gonna be a good one. Me and my 13 yr old had put out a camera in a area I?ve always found elk. Had cows on it end of July. Then the weekend before opening weekend had a nice 5x5 bull on the camera. Just the look on my sons face told me it was already a good year. After his school let out Friday we headed up. Set up camp and made plans for the morning.. The area of the trail camera was less then A mile away. The full moon had me worried but hey cant find them if you don?t go looking.  We started up the hill at almost first light. Started to see some fairly fresh sign.. set up and called and the boy was doing well. Called and walked and repeated.. then started slipping up a little bench, and that?s when the woods came alive. Ground Hornets is what the boy found.. he was screaming like he caught something in his zipper.... got him settled down and returned to camp to get him some antihistamine. Bee stings on my wife?s side isn?t good. Went for a drive and he took a nap. Tried another area to no luck. Then the winds and rain came that night. Sleeping in a backpacking tent during the downpour was no fun.. we headed up to work around the hornets for day 2. Still no elk sounds or elk sightings...until on our way back to the Jeep seen one lone cow who didn?t want to play. Packed up a wet tent and came home to return to work.. tried the same thing for next weekend it being the last.. to much of the same results. No elk sounds or elk sightings for the days we hunted.. he wasn?t beaten down but dad feels defeated been trying my butt off for a couple years to get him into deer.  So the 2019 season was a bust..hornets 1 the Nordwell?s 0

A couple dudes from IL gave it the oldcollege try in Western WY. It was our first ever elk hunt/trip. Had a blast but came home empty handed. Gotta thank the forum for all the posters and those willing to answer questions.  We heard elk, we saw elk and we had a few close encounters with elk but we never slung an arrow. Overall it was tougher than expected. Physically I was prepared and handled the hunt fine. It took a couple of days to jump over a few mental hurdles and realize we could get off trail and handle that steep ass terrain.  The elk and the calling was the tough part. We were general tag, public land and the elk pretty much gathered their small harems and ran away as soon as they heard a cow call or bugle. It?s believed that they were call shy but I think the bulls were all satisfied with small harems. There were no satellites looking for strange on the side. There were at least 4 hunting parties in the basin we were hunting which was about 10 sq miles in area and we only actually ran into 1 group while hunting. There was no sign and no talk of anyone filling a tag during the week we were there (last week of September).  Either way it was a blast and I willhopefully be back in 3 years on the general tag. Until then I guess I?ll be a 90 percenter I?ll be creeping around here until then trying to get the edge.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back