2020 Colorado Big Game Brochure Now Available

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
The new Colorado Big Game Brochure is now available. Check it out here:
https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/BigGame/biggame.pdf

Here is one of the biggest changes for this year:

NEW SECONDARY BIG GAME DRAW REPLACES THE LEFTOVER DRAW:
■ Most elk, deer, pronghorn and bear licenses not issued through the primary draw will now be made available in a secondary draw that is open to anyone, whether they applied for the primary draw or not.
■ There will no longer be a leftover draw.
■ Applicants must have a qualifying license to apply for the secondary draw.
■ The $7 resident and $9 nonresident application fees will apply per species for the secondary draw as well as the primary draw.
■ The secondary draw does not use preference points, and you cannot apply for preference points.
■ Secondary draw applications are accepted June 5?July 7, 8 p.m. MT.
■ Any licenses remaining after the secondary draw (except for Ranching for Wildlife licenses) will be placed on the leftover list and available for purchase on leftover day, starting Aug. 4 at 9 a.m. MT.
■ Applications for both the primary and secondary draws are only available online or by phone.
■ NOTE: "Unsuccessful options" have been removed for the draw application process. A list of hunt codes eligible for the secondary draw will be posted online June 5. Over-the-counter unlimited licenses will be available for purchase starting Aug. 6 at 9 a.m.

See page 4 for more details on the secondary draw.

So what?s the main difference versus the leftover draw? Second season draw is a true draw system without PP, versus left over draw was a first come first serve basis? Sorry never put in for leftover draw previously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The primary difference is the leftover draw was for people who didn't draw in the first draw. Now anyone can put in for the second draw even if you got a tag in the first draw. List A and List B rules still apply though.

I think this will also make it easier on the CPW when the leftovers become available. The first day those become available is always quite a mess. It's another chance for the CPW to make some money as well.

Only change I liked in this year's brochure was the archery season dates starting a little later and running until the end of September.  However, I'm crying over the fact that one of my best honey holes isn't in the picture anymore.  All of southwestern Colorado is now draw only for archery, and I utilize the draw for other tags/points and always hunt OTC archery.  So most of my best hunting spots are now out of the picture, and get the pleasure of starting from scratch in some new units...sigh.  :(

^^^ Wapiti Will
From what I?m hearing the SW units will have liberal bull tag allotment, cows will be restricted heavily.
So if you want to keep hunting your spots, you may even be able to in the Secondary Draw.

cnelk said:
^^^ Wapiti Will
From what I?m hearing the SW units will have liberal bull tag allotment, cows will be restricted heavily.
So if you want to keep hunting your spots, you may even be able to in the Secondary Draw.

I'm hearing the same thing. And if you are just going for points in a year, you should easily be able to get a bull tag down there with a second choice after getting a point with your first choice. At least that's what it sounds like.

cohunter14 said:
cnelk said:
^^^ Wapiti Will

I'm hearing the same thing. And if you are just going for points in a year, you should easily be able to get a bull tag down there with a second choice after getting a point with your first choice. At least that's what it sounds like.

That is good to hear, just wish the secondary draw was exempt from the List A license limitation or they made those bull tags List B in the secondary draw...neither of which I would ever expect to happen.  Picking one up on the secondary draw will tie me to that unit, and I love that I can bounce around to OTC units/areas I'm familiar with depending on which areas are in a drought, experiencing unusually high pressure, or just close to home for a quick evening hunt after work. 
I'll just use this as an opportunity to go find some new areas. 
I'm am also very concerned about how many strictly OTC archery hunters will be displaced from those SW CO units into the remaining, and already overcrowded, OTC units.  Nonresident hunters may be less likely to want to shell out the extra cost of a qualifying license+application fee, and continue to purchase OTC tags and hunt elsewhere.  I'll try to remember to start up a poll/information gathering thread in October to see how the new changes impacted everyone's 2020 season.

Wapiti_Will

Depending on what unit(s) you hunt, the Regs show one hunt code for 71, 72, 73, 711.

One hunt code for 74, 741

One hunt code for 75, 751

One hunt code for 77, 78, 771

So you arent restricted to just one GMU

cnelk said:
Wapiti_Will

Depending on what unit(s) you hunt, the Regs show one hunt code for 71, 72, 73, 711.

One hunt code for 74, 741

One hunt code for 75, 751

One hunt code for 77, 78, 771

So you arent restricted to just one GMU

Unfortunately my #1 spot is in 70, which stands alone...sigh.  :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back