2020 Plans

Sickforit23

Jul 25, 2016
Yes, that description is correct. I just finished up a southwestern Montana and central Montana Elk hunt. Starting to prep for 2020 elk trip now. Was unsuccessful in montana this year and actually ended up moving from the Gravelly range, due to grizzly pressure, up to the Castle Mountains. Saw a ton of elk in both locations but was unable to get closer than 200 yards as my calling sequences were unable to pull bulls over.

For 2020 i'm looking at going back to Colorado. I've done a ton of research on the Roan Plateau area in unit 32 and was able to find elk there. However, i'm looking into different OTC units that may be worth diving into a little more. Anyone willing to share any units that they've had success in in the past. I'm all about the e-scouting process and the research that goes into figuring these units out so i'm looking for nothing more than a few suggestions on units.

Thanks all and happy hunting!

It's difficult to say one OTC unit is better than another. In my opinion they are all similar except in terrain. The units closer to the front range, big towns, and ski resorts tend to get hit harder in my experience. But they all hold elk and if you put some time into the unit, you should be able to find them. Good luck!

Sickforit23 said:
Yes, that description is correct. I just finished up a southwestern Montana and central Montana Elk hunt. Starting to prep for 2020 elk trip now. Was unsuccessful in montana this year and actually ended up moving from the Gravelly range, due to grizzly pressure, up to the Castle Mountains. Saw a ton of elk in both locations but was unable to get closer than 200 yards as my calling sequences were unable to pull bulls over.

For 2020 i'm looking at going back to Colorado. I've done a ton of research on the Roan Plateau area in unit 32 and was able to find elk there. However, i'm looking into different OTC units that may be worth diving into a little more. Anyone willing to share any units that they've had success in in the past. I'm all about the e-scouting process and the research that goes into figuring these units out so i'm looking for nothing more than a few suggestions on units.

Thanks all and happy hunting!
When did you come out of the castles, I was back in there too the second weekend of September and there were people everywhere.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

We actually hunted the Castles during Rifle season 3 seasons ago and again during archery last season. There were a lot of people hunting around that area and i actually ended up calling in two guys at one point.

I had chatted a lot with a biologist in the area and although there are a lot of elk in, it seems like all the elk we've seen have been on private out there.

We cut a lot of track/sign but it was old sign and nothing fresh. As much as I like the area i don't know that i'll be going back unless i'm able to get more intel that leads me to some different spots within the unit.

Message me if you have any specific questions. Happy to share any of the information i have. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back