2024 Elk Meat Pole

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
This is the place to share your trophy pictures, whether that trophy is the bull of a lifetime or a cow. Let's see them!!

Here’s mine from yesterday. I thought I hit him well but after waiting 1/2 hour I tracked him and jumped him about 60 yards from where I shot him. I was able to hit him again as he was leaving but it wasn’t a good hit. Then it began to rain. I lost the blood trail and the tracks. We found him after doing a grid search this morning. I lost some of the meat due to bone souring. Not exactly how I wanted it to go.

Attachments

• 766222F2-5FB8-44FF-9A3E-0DC8BC1BEF80.jpeg
    766222F2-5FB8-44FF-9A3E-0DC8BC1BEF80.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: DTP
Here’s mine from yesterday. I thought I hit him well but after waiting 1/2 hour I tracked him and jumped him about 60 yards from where I shot him. I was able to hit him again as he was leaving but it wasn’t a good hit. Then it began to rain. I lost the blood trail and the tracks. We found him after doing a grid search this morning. I lost some of the meat due to bone souring. Not exactly how I wanted it to go.
Congrats on a beautiful bull. I’m sorry to hear about the meat and hope you are at least able to salvage some.
Good on you for giving it all the way and grid searching too. Way too many just give up.

Thanks everyone. We cut up the whole elk and brought all of it out like we normally would. It all looked fine when it came off the carcass but I could smell that it wasn’t all fine in the game bags. We got it home and broke everything down and started smelling the meat as it came off and discarding anything that smelled off. We probably tossed 1/4 of it the first day. I had to go home but my parents checked on the meat the next two days in our meat locker. They threw out probably another 1/4 of it that was starting to smell. It looks like I lost the tenderloins, and the two quarters that were on the ground and the neck meat. The other two quarters and the backstraps seem to be fine.

I would like to thank the forester for that area. This was timber company property that is open to the public but the roads are gated and only open for authorized people. He opened the gates so my 70 year old parents could drive in 4 miles to help me look. And then he came in and walked around in the wet brush while it was pouring rain for 2 hours to also help me look for my elk. Then he left the gate open so we could drive back in to look the next day. My uncle came up the next day and brought his dog. His dog found some blood that somehow hadn’t been washed away but she didn’t find the elk. My uncle basically stepped on it trying to walk through some trees. The forester did way more to help someone he didn’t know than anyone could have expected. Thanks so much Ed. I’ll never forget it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back