218 days

Rich Z

Dec 29, 2012
There are only 218 days left before I leave on my first archery elk hunt to Colorado… The anticipation is killing me. How do you guys, and gals, cope with the count down to season?  :eek:

Medication.. 8)

I just keep preparing myself physically, my gear needs and mental attitude is the short answer. Funny thing is when the day to go gets here, you're still not ready, but you go and have a great time.

Pick up similar hobbies to fill the void.  I personally grab the fly rod and fish like a madman. This summer I will try my hand at kayak fishing over on the oregon coast.  Never tried that before but things like that give me something to serve as a distraction until September.

I continually watch hunting videos and go out and scout whenever i can.  Thats the only thing that helps the time pass.

Fortunately for me, I live on the front range in CO so I'll be able to spend a considerable amount of time scouting this year.  I also shoot my bow daily, make frequent trips to the gym and run at least 3 times per week. Between all that and raising a couple teenagers, the days, weeks, months seem to just fly by!  Funny that September still never seems to come fast enough for me though.  :)

Head out for some sheds, move into scouting season and before you know it you will have a bull screaming at you. Good luck RichZ.

I read information on elk habits, diet, and behavior.  I talk to people in the area where I plan on hunting or people who have hunted there.  I talk endlessly with my fellow hunters about what time we should take off for our hunt and why.  Then we talk about our backup plans.  We have a specific honey hole we go to every year, however last year it was on fire part of the season so the value of scouting out several different RANGES came into clear focus.  We put boots on the ground and hike to learn the lay of the land, waterholes and trails.  Game cameras go up and get checked every couple weeks by one of our party.  Bear season starts soon so the camo goes on and skills are tuned up.  3 d bow shoots during the summer sharpen skills as well.  Inventory of supplies ares taken and updated or modified depending upon feedback from the revious season.  Backpacking trips into new areas are planned and executed during the off season as well. 

Long story short... C'mon man.  What'r u talking about "what do you do?"

218 days seems a long time ago.  Glad season is finally here. now we will be saying a year until next season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back