2nd shot opinion...

kjw

Sep 23, 2013
Curious what others think....... You've made a good shot on your elk but he is not down. You can see him standing there and it looks like a lethal hit and may go down in sight. He is still in your effective range. I know there is a million scenarios that can happen with this, but what say you? Do you knock up another arrow and try to put another hole in him or, do you let it be, with confidence in the first shot and not risk of a second shot spooking him and watch him take off with a burst of adrenaline and and a blood trail.

Back when I was young which is a long time ago I was told keep shooting until they hit the dirt. This applied to rifle hunting, but for me also applies to bowhunting. Another arrow is better than one. Take the shot and get another arrow in him. These animals are tough and if for some reason the first shot is not as good as expected this 2nd arrow will help seal the deal.

I'd always take a back up shot if you have the opportunity.  We've never lost a bull we got a second shot into, but have some painful searches and memories from those we haven't.

I'd agree with the second shot. I don't think it would hurt to get another set of holes in an animal, especially an elk. Just curious if anyone had a different view than I did.

This got me this year. I put what looked like the most perfect shot I ever took at an elk, I mean this elk dropped in his tracks like some one pulled the rug out from under him. I was getting ready to cut my tag,then he got up and fell back down, Got up again and took one step and did a summer salt down the hill at me got up and did another summer salt . this elk was going no were I thought , I could have put 3 arrows in him by this time. then he got up walked 50 feet and fell down again for about 30 seconds. Got up and walked away like nothing happened.  only blood was were he fell and broke off my arrow. Iv seen this bull 3 times since then and acting like nothing ever happened. Latter It dawned on me when I shot he had his front leg back and I got him in the thick part of the shoulder blade.I have always said take the second shot , from now on I will listen to myself.

Only time I had a second shot chance was on as cow when she turned and ran at me after the first shot. Then stopped and let me draw quartering to me. I didn't like the angle and passed the shot. I knew my first shot was a bit high, and when she spun and left I regretted not shooting again even with the poor angle. One day later and one heck of a long track we were following cougar tracks on top of elk tracks. Yea didn't turn out well. Wish I would have taken the second shot even with the poor angle. Even if all it did was put more blood on the ground, it would have helped find her faster I think.

I am sure every situation is different, but on that one I should have dropped the string.

I put a back up in my bull this year.  Nothing beats a good blood trail.  I will never hesitate to take a backup shot if the option is presented.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back