.308 for Elk What Grain Bullet?

Jeffbro

Feb 5, 2016
Have a fall 2017 hunt in Colorado and was wondering what grain bullet is recommended by some experienced hunters.
I use Hornady SST at 165 g for deer in my .308

Thanks

I'd actually be more concerned with type of bullet, as opposed to what grain. Anything over 130 is plenty enough for elk. But I would think nosler partitions or accubonds. Barnes ttsx. Swift a frames. If your a hornady fan, I've killed a few with interbonds and always had great results. No experience with the Sst, but I think it was designed for deer. 
Good luck!

Great question, I have been considering giving up my .338 for my .308.  Haven't hunted much with it, but have killed whitetails with my 165 Speer Grand Slam (HSM) cartridges.  Think the cartridge is plenty to put an elk on the ground.  Interested to see what other people think.

Any premium bullet will do.  I know I may get haters, but I've hammered a couple with as low as .270 with a 150 gr bullet.  But that's as low as I will go for an elk.  You just need a bullet that will stay together and cause the damage intended.  Elk are tough animals, shot placement and a premium bullet will get the job done. Find what works excellent in your firearm and you have to be totally comfortable and confident in your system. 

Jeffbro, I'd shoot the heaviest premium bullet with the highest weight retention you can find.

This is an excellent elk round in your cal.:

Federal Premium - Nosler Partition - 180g - Product #P308E

PM me if you have any questions.

The .308 is a nice caliber if you are going to hunt elk either buy the very best with Barnes or
Nosler Partions there are some others that hold together well just be sure and get them. It will be expensive but try some different brands and find one that shoots best in your rifle. If you know someone who can reload for you try barnes or Nosler Partiions both in 165 grain and I use Winchester brass and primers(buy a least 200 primers that way you shoot consistantly) they shoot real good and are consistent just be sure  and size each brass and check length before you start to work loads. Buy 100 bullets of the same lot and you can get by with 50 brass I like 100(same lot also). Look up best powder for that bullet you are using if its Barnes call and talk to a technician they are great & will email you loading data for your rifle. Take time and load 3 rounds for each powder charge and put a sheet of paper and shoot each powder charge on a different page make sure and put in LARGE numbers the powder charge on each sheet then take it home and decide what you want to use. Some of the powders I use are IMR4064 and Reloader15 the brand can make a difference my son has a Rem. Model7 I had tried ballistic tip in 165 and could not get it to work I changed to 165partion with Reloader15 and shot 0.5 above max and it shot a ragged hole at 100yd same gun just different powder & bullet but DO NOT SHOOT ABOVE MAX LOAD UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!! When you hunt elk keep the shot within 300 yds and broadside but practice and shoot distances 100,200 & 300 yd and then write it down and tape it to the stock of your gun and get a good range finder and remember if its real steep up or down shoot low.  Remember you are not hunting you are Making MEMORIES!! Getting ready for the hunt is 60% of the hunt and make sure you are fit WALK A LOT I mean at least 2 miles a day and work up to a 30-40lbs in a backpack as you walk there was a lot of days this last  elk seasoning KY I walked 5 miles in a day . As I told my players I coached PRACTICE HARD AND PLAY EASY!! If you want more info just pm me and LORD willing I'll get back ASAP and most important know 100% if you died today you will go to HEAVEN!! Thanks Hope this helps. DT from East TN  Eph.3:20    1st Kings 21:3 KJV

I love Hornady so I would recommend the new 178grain ELD-x. I tested a small batch and the results were great as far as accuracy goes. I have no doubt these will preform well on big game. 175-185 grains, in my opinion, is the holy grail of bullet weight for the beloved .308 cartridge. If you reload you should have no issue getting really close to 2700 fps in a longer barrel with around 2800 ftlbs of energy.

You could even jump up to the 200 or 208 grain eldx and do a lot of damage. I get 2600 fps frm a 20" barrel loaded long (3.08"). Would have to single load but man these hit hard.

:) I would use 165 grain/168grain copper bullets as it is required here in California. With using these bullets, I recommend Barnes. They work , Barnes recommends light bullets for hunting. I used Noslers in the past.

So, I just found this thread and was curious if anyone can speak from experience for the Barnes TTSX? I've read elsewhere (https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?264628-Barnes-TTSX) that when shooting a monolithic bullet greater downrange velocity is required to ensure proper expansion.
Also, since copper is less dense than lead, monolithic-copper bullets tend to be longer for their given weight than lead, which may for some, influence accuracy.

All that considered, it seems a 150 grain all-copper projectile might be preferable in this case. Curious what others who've used them (I'm ordering some to test with) on actual Elk have to say.

i would shoot a 165 gr nosler partition and never worry about it.

living here in CA, i am limited to the non-toxic.

i shoot the Barnes TTSX out of my 257weatherby and it is fairly accurate.  but such high velocity leaves a lot of copper fouling.  not ideal

mthayr said:
So, I just found this thread and was curious if anyone can speak from experience for the Barnes TTSX? I've read elsewhere (https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?264628-Barnes-TTSX) that when shooting a monolithic bullet greater downrange velocity is required to ensure proper expansion.
Also, since copper is less dense than lead, monolithic-copper bullets tend to be longer for their given weight than lead, which may for some, influence accuracy.

All that considered, it seems a 150 grain all-copper projectile might be preferable in this case. Curious what others who've used them (I'm ordering some to test with) on actual Elk have to say.
I've been really impressed with the TTSX. I've shot three elk and a deer with the Barnes TTSX. Two elk and a deer were with the 168 gr and all of them dropped where they stood or went no more than 20 yards.

Last year I switched to the 150 gr TTSX. I wanted the extra velocity and expansion the lighter bullet offered. I shot my bull last year a little over 200 yards quartering to me. The bullet entered behind the front shoulder and exited in front of the rear quarter. The bull tumbled down the hill a few yards. I'll be sticking with this bullet again this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If I was still able to hunt elk I would use my 270 with a 130 Swift Scirocco which is the same thing I use on Arkansas whitetail....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back