4 basic elk calls to learn

Glacier Country

Nov 13, 2013
Well 5 basic calls really if you count the little bugle I also do...
1. Herd talk... Cow and calf talk maybe even a small bugle. These sounds are all made by starting off of the high pitch of the calf.
2. Location bugle
3. Challenge Bugle
4. Nervous grunt or Nervous bark

Click on 4 Basic Calls1.m4a underneath the attachment.

Attachments

• 4 Basic Calls1.m4a
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 305
I\'ve been playing and trying to mimic this stuff all night.

My question is, why would someone want to learn a nervous bark or grunt?
Maybe I am misunderstanding the name, but why am I calling to the other elk like \"I AM NERVOUS\" \"ALARM ALARM\"

Thanks for the clips, Troy.

The alarm bark or nervous grunt is important to learn because if a cow or bull barks at you they are wanting you to show yourself. So if you bark back they are relieved and usually will calm right back down because you are an elk barking back so they have nothing to worry about.

Good stuff Troy with nice clear sounds.

Trav

\"Wapiti\" said:
The alarm bark or nervous grunt is important to learn because if a cow or bull barks at you they are wanting you to show yourself. So if you bark back they are relieved and usually will calm right back down because you are an elk barking back so they have nothing to worry about.

Trav

Thanks Trav.
I just misunderstood then, the name through me off. To me it sounded like we were putting them on high alert for predators or something.

I will have to practice that one too now :upthumb:

Dan, I believe the bark or grunt can also be used to stop a bull, for example in a shooting lane, if necessary.

Yes Cohunter has it correct as well. The bark is a great way to stop a bull for the shot.

I have also used this on bulls that are hung up and won\'t come into your call setup. As stated earlier this sound is asking a question and more importantly for that elk to show himself. So if you bark at a hung up bull more times then not I\'ve had that elk walk right in !!

Also if a bull is barking at you and then chuckles that means he has other elk with him so guys be alert !

To be a successful elk hunter year in and year out you need to think outside the box and you\'ll need to THINK like an elk thinks and not think as a hunter. How do you do that ? Watch, Listen and learn from the best teacher of all the Elk. Saying that, do not be scared to try different sounds on elk and you\'ll see many more shot opportunities. The bark is one such sound. You can use this sound in so many more ways than most people think.

Trav

\"Wapiti\" said:

Trav
First of all, I think you need to know that an alarm bark and a nervous bark ( not grunt as you refer to it) are two different sounds. The alarm bark is usually done several times in succession . And it usually means something isn\'t right and it\'s time to vamoose. Where as, the nervous bark (not grunt) is usually only done once. And as someone else already said, \"It will stop an elk on a dime every time.

The herd talk portion of your clip, is that how you would do it in the field or was that just an example of all the noises you could make?

I guess you will have to trust me when I say I can make more elk noises than that, but this was just a small sample of assorted cow and calf calls that you can start with that will get you going. You sure could use those sounds just like that in the field!! If you sound like that, I would think you will have some success.

NERVOUS BARK

WW and I have discussed the Nervous Bark before and WW pointed out that it is not really a grunt ..... He is right, it is not really a grunt.
Let me say that I think that WW was the first to point this out years and years ago to elk hunters everywhere. This sound has been presented as a grunt but it is mislabeled IMO.

While I\'m at it let me just say that the Estrous Buzz is mislabeled as well!!! It is NOT just an Estrous sound. Elk do not buzz their lips to get this sound... we do. Elk make this sound year round and it is just a version of get over here NOW!!! I have heard cows make this sound to calves that have strayed too far from the herd and they turn like a cutting horse back to mom when she does this sound. When they make this sound during the rut they are just saying the same thing this time to a bull. Get over here now!!

Troy
glaciercountryhuntingcalls.com

\">>>---WW---->\" said:
First of all, I think you need to know that an alarm bark and a nervous bark ( not grunt as you refer to it) are two different sounds.

First of all I never coined the term nervous grunt. I just called it what everyone else has been calling it for years.

Second of all everyone has there opinion on what it means. It can be a single bark are multiple barks done in succession. Personally I think it\'s all the same and you handle it the same way whether they are in succession or singular ! It\'s how you handle the situation which either leads to success or failure ! I know how I\'ve handled it many times in the past and have shot many elk with the tactics I use !

You can try some of my tactics or choose to ignore them WW it makes no difference to me as I know what works. I\'m just trying to help the others that have never been in this situation before. I know for sure I paid my dues and learned the hard way so I am trying to shorten the learning curve for others interested on the forums.

I wish I had a pet elk to tell what all there sounds mean but I do not. So I just roll with what I feel they are saying from watching them and there body language. Elk are the best teachers !! They know what they are saying unlike us who think we know !!

\"Wapiti\" said:
\">>>---WW---->\" said:
First of all, I think you need to know that an alarm bark and a nervous bark ( not grunt as you refer to it) are two different sounds.

First of all I never coined the term nervous grunt. I just called it what everyone else has been calling it for years.

Second of all everyone has there opinion on what it means. It can be a single bark are multiple barks done in succession. Personally I think it\'s all the same and you handle it the same way whether they are in succession or singular ! It\'s how you handle the situation which either leads to success or failure ! I know how I\'ve handled it many times in the past and have shot many elk with the tactics I use !

You can try some of my tactics or choose to ignore them WW it makes no difference to me as I know what works. I\'m just trying to help the others that have never been in this situation before. I know for sure I paid my dues and learned the hard way so I am trying to shorten the learning curve for others interested on the forums.

I wish I had a pet elk to tell what all there sounds mean but I do not. So I just roll with what I feel they are saying from watching them and there body language. Elk are the best teachers !! They know what they are saying unlike us who think we know !!

I wish I coined the term Microsoft! :)

I think Wapiti is right on with his comment of \"all the same\". For me, the elk language isn\'t complicated. A bark is a bark and \"intensity\" combined with \"repetition\" determines the true expression.

Bottom of the scale = daaaaanger?
Top of the scale = DANGER! DANGER! DANGER!

I have a scale for the younger crowd.

Low: I\'m Ron Burgandy?

High: THE MAN PUNTED BAXTER. THE MAN, ON THE MOTOCYCLE......THE MOTOCYCLE ON THE BRIDGE...I HIT HIM WITH A BURRITO. IM IN A GLASS CAGE OF EMOTION!!!!!!!!!

:dk:

\"iccyman001\" said:

High: THE MAN PUNTED BAXTER. THE MAN, ON THE MOTOCYCLE......THE MOTOCYCLE ON THE BRIDGE...I HIT HIM WITH A BURRITO. IM IN A GLASS CAGE OF EMOTION!!!!!!!!!

Who is Ron Burgandy? :D

But you know, to label the bark as just a \"danger\" expression is only part of it. Like when my dog barks, there\'s many different expressions rolled up into one. My dog barks once when she wants attention but barks more intensely when a stranger knocks on the door. So the elk bark is a danger/nervous/attention expression all wraped into one.

\"iccyman001\" said:

:haha:

\"JohnFitzgerald\" said:
\"iccyman001\" said:

Who is Ron Burgandy? :D

But you know, to label the bark as just a \"danger\" expression is only part of it. Like when my dog barks, there\'s many different expressions rolled up into one. My dog barks once when she wants attention but barks more intensely when a stranger knocks on the door. So the elk bark is a danger/nervous/attention expression all wraped into one.

Yes I agree with John 100%. You need to read each encounter as it progresses.

\"iccyman001\" said:

It is never a good idea to post a joke that most of your audience has no clue what you are talking about. :lol:

\"Swede\" said:
\"iccyman001\" said:

It is never a good idea to post a joke that most of your audience has no clue what you are talking about. :lol:

I think it\'s Dans subtle way of calling us old! :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back