4 Basic Elk sounds for hunting with (Audio)

Glacier Country

Nov 13, 2013
After reading some of the other elk calling threads,I thought I would post this Audio that I made so you will know what 4 sounds to start to practice and also have audio of some sounds to be able to mimic.
Hope this helps. ------> Troy@ Glacier Country Hunting Calls
The sounds I think most elk hunters should start with is.....
1) Cow and calf sounds on a Bite and blow style call like the( GlacierCountryHuntingCalls.com) all lower case High Heel Hottie

1A)Then learn how to make Elk sounds on a single reed elk diaphragm... learn the high pitch of the calf, THEN learn the high to low of the Cow sounds
EEEE YOWWW.
1B) Now since you learned the high pitch of the calf .... lets (elongate the high pitch of the calf) to get a small bugle ,just add some more air and start from just a bit more of a mid tone.

Although you can make these last three sounds on a single reed diaphragm,I personally like to use a double reed elk call for these last three sounds.
2) Location bugle
3) Challenge bugle ----> High pitch bugle with a growl in it.
4) Nervous Bark this sound is asking a question... but really wants some action from you,Who or WHAT are you? Show yourself.

[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->4 Basic Calls1.m4a<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Attachments

• 4 Basic Calls1.m4a
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 168
Great post, Troy.

Let me ask you a question.

As an expert caller, how often do you actually break away from those 4 basic sounds?

I\'m guessing that they do the lion\'s share of your work for you, right?

Yea these sounds,Are the bread and butter, but I sure do throw in an estrous buzz or estrous sounds on a bite call as well. I also mix up each of these sounds using Tone Intensity and Pitch which really gives me a lot of sounds based off of these basics. I also am a firm believer in Raking trees to show aggression or at least to amp up the encounter. I also will muffle a bugle sometimes to make a bull believe I am farther than I am away.

Good job Troy. I couldn\'t have said it better. :clap:

About all I could add is once you learn how to make these calls, it comes down to the (what, why, when, and where) to use them. It all comes with experience. Rome wasn\'t built in a day!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back