6.5 Creedmoor

Ivar88

Aug 8, 2017
I have a 3rd season hunt this year and would like some opinions on my rifle choice. I have a custom 7mm Rem-Mag that I planned on using, but then I got to thinking about my trusty 6.5 Creedmoor and where I may be putting myself to find the bulls that late. With the 7mm comes weight and overall length of the rifle which towers over the creed, but it also has that extra kick in the you know what for reassurance. I have read tons of forums arguing either side, most of which are just people playing 'caliber expert' and not giving any relevant information. What I would like to know is: 

1.) Have any of you taken a mature bull with this round or similar?
2.) Overall thoughts on using the 6.5 on a mature bull? 
3.) If you think it is a capable round, what max range would you consider? Not based on skill, but practicality of the bullet.

Thanks!

If you are going to hunt the thicker timber and your shots are limited to 200yds, I would have full confidence in the 6.5. That said, I'd still feel better with the 7RM in my hands if given the choice between the 2.

Ivar88 said:
1.) Have any of you taken a mature bull with this round or similar?
2.) Overall thoughts on using the 6.5 on a mature bull? 
3.) If you think it is a capable round, what max range would you consider? Not based on skill, but practicality of the bullet.

To answer your questions:
1) No I haven't, but I know a bunch of accomplished elk hunters who have.
2) I think it would certainly do the trick if the shooter does his job.
3) Max range for me would be based on what bullet you are shooting and the ballistics of it. I'm a believer in heavy-for-caliber bullets and I also somewhat subscribe to the idea of having a minimum of 1,500 ft/lbs of energy remaining in a bullet to kill an elk. I'm not saying you have to do that, but it's a reasonable number in my opinion. Plug your numbers into a ballistic calculator and that should give you a good idea. Chances are a 6.5 will kill an elk way out past where you are comfortable shooting.

My question for you is how much more does the 7 Mag weight than the Creedmoor? And which gun do you shoot more accurately? I personally wouldn't worry about the extra recoil of a rifle on a hunt. If you are looking at an elk through your scope, your adrenaline will be up and you won't even notice the recoil. I also wouldn't worry to much about the length of the rifle as it shouldn't matter too much while hunting. Weight could matter if it's a significant amount, but more than likely we are talking ounces of difference and not pounds.

Take the Creedmoor, you do your job, it'll do its part. Besides, you're going to pack the rifle more than shoot it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back