Action Cams?

I am also looking at a gopro hero 2 outdoor.  It's either that or a hero 3 white but the hero 2 has better photo resolution than the white

Check your state regs. I had mine mounted to my bow site. But its illgeal to hunt with it attached to my bow in Oregon. The hdead strap is the way to go.

If it is legal mount it on your bow, the gopro handlebar mount or others will mount to some risers.  If not, the headstrap or the chest strap

I was going to mount my smart phone to my bow.  This week at the ISE in Denver I asked a DOW guy (in CO) whether it was legal or not and he said it would be OK since it didn't assist in the shot.  So I bought a cam mount then later a buddy said he didn't think you could do it.  Sure enough I then found an older DOW guy and he said definaatively you cannot have anything electronic on a bow in CO.  On your head or glasses or elsewhere if fine but not on the bow.  I didn't really want to buy a camera but thought it would be good to at least be able to view a shot afterwards.  Unfortunately CO DOW has no real logic behind their rules as the DOW guy told me their stance has been if they let hunters have anything electronic on the bow, even if it has no bearing on the shot, then they'll (hunters) will ask for more.  I respectfully disagree with the logic.  I did see at the show another booth that had sunglasses with a camera incorporated into it.  Lens was between the eyes and the storage and buttons and jacks were on the side pieces.  Looked really cool but didn't look like super high quality.

As someone who films all my hunts and families hunts, GoPros are nice, but they are second angle cams in my opinion. If the animal is 30 yards in front of you in the wide open, he will still appear small on screen. You really need a small handheld as well

Kglacken said:
As someone who films all my hunts and families hunts, GoPros are nice, but they are second angle cams in my opinion. If the animal is 30 yards in front of you in the wide open, he will still appear small on screen. You really need a smallhandheld as well

Kglacken, what kind of handheld do you use?

I had good luck with the JVC everio.  There's not much out there with higher optical zoom it has 40X.  It's under $200 and only is only like 8 oz.  It also fits in a pocket. Here's some of this years footage.  After the fact I kick myself for not carrying a tripod too, tough to do with a bow in thick country.The biggest bull at 2:15 was 600-700 yards even without the tripod you get a good idea of his size.
http://youtu.be/OoLoDdLKBiE

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back