always return to the basics

kikinhorse

Jan 23, 2013
I think a lot of people over think calling. Just do the basic calls and don't worry about over calling.

A lot of people hunt elk like they hunt deer and it's a whole different ball game with elk. People would probably think I was nuts with how much I use my calls but I find elk every year in heavily pressured areas.

I agree,  I like to sound like an elk marching band running back and forth hitting multiple calls.  Usually you find the right sound that they want to hear.

I tend to agree with that statement.  I think a lot of guys also use bugling a little too much.  I find cow calling to be my go to call.  The only time I will use a bugle is to locate elk once in a while (usually use a cow call for mostly) and to throw out a challenge bugle to get the bull to come in thinking I am going to steal his cows.

I sometimes I feel I over call, but have always had good response to it.  I can only think of maybe a handful of times I have bugled.  I tend to stick to cow calling and just try to act like I'm a lost cow, and have had pretty good luck.

I agree. I don't think you can overcall. Elk are very loud and noisy animals when you are in close to them. They are constantly making noise. So if your calling I don't see why you wouldn't want to call alot.

This last year, my dad and I were sitting in an area and covering two lanes to us. We were doing a lot of cow calling trying to sound like a small herd and getting nothing in response. I decided to let out a lazy bugle and whamo... a bull hit me right back with that same lazy bugle. One more bugle, he responded and the next thing you know he was being quartered out and packed down the trail. Try, everything and sometimes things that sound not right, you never know what will trigger a response which is all we are really looking for. Then we can start the real hunt :)

Fullabull said:
A lot of people hunt elk like they hunt deer and it's a whole different ball game with elk. People would probably think I was nuts with how much I use my calls but I find elk every year in heavily pressured areas.

Agreed - I know I've had some crazy looks from deer hunting friends of mine that I've taken along due to the way I stampede through the woods like maniac when I get an answer. I remember the first time I ever took a good friend of mine out - I was 25 and he was 52, so he obviously had many a year experience on me, but he was new to elk hunting.

I remember it was early October and things were dead, I did a frantic cow call/lip bawl sequence and got an answer from a few hundred yards above us. I got his attention and signaled for him to follow me up the hill. I'm halfway to the bull and hes nowhere in sight - I look back and hes sneaking through the bush all crouched down, arrow nocked.. Looked like he was stalking a mule deer. I get his attention and said "get your arse in gear! he thinks were 700 pound animals, a broken stick or 10 isn't going to scare him!" haha.

We plowed our way up the hill and I did another sequence, not quite as frantic this time, and I wish you guys could have seen the look on his face when I brought that bull by him at 5 yards. He didn't know whether to sh1t or steal second. One of my favorite elk hunting memories. Its a story that he tells to anyone that will listen haha.

Buddy when he first moved didn't have a partner so tried to get his wife to call, that didn't work so he taught her to shoot, called her in a big bull.  I guess he was really a pissed off bull, red eyes, snot flying type.  She was petrified and hid instead of trying to get a shot off.  She's not the shooter anymore.

I took, at that time a new friend, turkey hunting. He had never been before but he was a seasoned deer hunter. It was in the gray light and a turkey gobbled about 1/2 to 3/4 mile away. I asked if he heard it, which he did. I asked, "you ready". He asked,"for what". I said, "lets go". I took off running and stopped a little distance from the turkey. I looked around and my friend was standing there breathing hard, and asked,"what are you doing". I said, "closing the distance, lets get set up and call".

He had a look on his face like he was with a crazzy man, which he later admitted that's what he thought...We did get the bird in, but didn't shoot that one. Good times...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back