Antelope recipes?

DTP

Administrator
Jun 13, 2017
I have two antelope tags this year (NM buck & OK doe) and I was wondering what most people do with antelope?
I've tried antelope once and it was FANTASTIC!

Does anyone have any antelope recipes they would like to share?

I don't know how some people say Antelope isn't good. when its fresh killed it does have a slightly sagey taste(which to me isn't a bad thing) once you freeze the meat and thaw it, it really takes a lot of that sage out of the meat. as far as recipes a little goes a long way.

straps:
-EVOO, salt ,pepper, diced onion. that's it mix it in to the straps by hand .... pan with EVOO hotttttt. then just sear the strap cut into medallions so the outside gets crisp and inside med/med rare. goes great with asparagus.

- of course the always amazing bacon wrapped method
I prepare the same way as previously stated but add a Cajun seasoning mix( I use slap your mamma). The key in my mind is use thin sliced bacon. This makes the meat cook to a med rare without burning the bacon.

Ground-- I had mine mixed with 20% beef fat.

tacos-- prepare like you would with ground beef. just add the taco seasoning to the meat and stir while cooking. corn tortillas in a hot pan to lightly harden the shell. then just add cilantro sour cream and tapatillo and enjoy

just a few off the top of my head but it is one of my favorite wild game meat so far.

Ive had incredible antelope and horrible antelope. Of any of the species I've tried (admit I haven't had the fortune of eating much from alaska other than caribou and moose) antelope are probably the most sensitive to immediate dressing and cooling. If you take care of an antelope that has been quickly and cleanly dispatched, its probably in my top 3 if not #1 for table fare. If it gets stressed due to poor shot placement or you drive around with it field dressed but skin on for 2 days showing it off to buddies, it can get pretty game-y.

That said, my favorite is leaving the grill turned off. Sear thin cut back strap in a cast iron skillet for about 60-90 seconds a side with some morel mushrooms, garlic, etc... I typically haven't gotten to comlpex with it. It seems like whenever I've put it on the grill the direct heat "toughened" it up a bit. Pan searing it with your choice of accouterments is my fav.

backcountry_hunter said:
Ive had incredible antelope and horrible antelope. Of any of the species I've tried (admit I haven't had the fortune of eating much from alaska other than caribou and moose) antelope are probably the most sensitive to immediate dressing and cooling. If you take care of an antelope that has been quickly and cleanly dispatched, its probably in my top 3 if not #1 for table fare. If it gets stressed due to poor shot placement or you drive around with it field dressed but skin on for 2 days showing it off to buddies, it can get pretty game-y.

That said, my favorite is leaving the grill turned off. Sear thin cut back strap in a cast iron skillet for about 60-90 seconds a side with some morel mushrooms, garlic, etc... I typically haven't gotten to comlpex with it. It seems like whenever I've put it on the grill the direct heat "toughened" it up a bit. Pan searing it with your choice of accouterments is my fav.

I've been doing a lot of reading on antelope and everyone really pressed hard on what you said, immediate dressing and cooling! On both the hunts I plan to have ice in the truck ready to go. Pending a good shoot I'll skin it on the spot and then book it to the coolers.
Im also considering giving it an ice bath for a few days with the drain open.

I've got a brand new cast iron that I need to break in, but once I've got that going, I'll have to try your recipe! Now if only I can find some morals! Yum yum!

neckofredness said:
I don't know how some people say Antelope isn't good. when its fresh killed it does have a slightly sagey taste(which to me isn't a bad thing) once you freeze the meat and thaw it, it really takes a lot of that sage out of the meat. as far as recipes a little goes a long way. straps:-EVOO, salt ,pepper, diced onion. that's it mix it in to the straps by hand .... pan with EVOO hotttttt. then just sear the strap cut into medallions so the outside gets crisp and inside med/med rare. goes great with asparagus.- of course the always amazing bacon wrapped methodI prepare the same way as previously stated but add a Cajun seasoning mix( I use slap your mamma). The key in my mind is use thin sliced bacon. This makes the meat cook to a med rare without burning the bacon. Ground-- I had mine mixed with 20% beef fat.tacos-- prepare like you would with ground beef. just add the taco seasoning to the meat and stir while cooking. corn tortillas in a hot pan to lightly harden the shell. then just add cilantro sour cream and tapatillo and enjoyjust a few off the top of my head but it is one of my favorite wild game meat so far.

I'm drooling thinking of some antelope tacos.... we make a lot of elk and deer tacos, Id imagine that some antelope tacos would be great too!!!

I'll probably give the meat an ice bath in some coolers for a few days with the drain open. That should help with some of the sage taste. At the same time I don't mind either.... if I keep it gamey enough then my wife won't want it and it's more for me hahaha

Now I also really want bacon..... thanks for the help!

970f0cf2a09148f7fb63e07a831c40fb.jpg

My first and only antelope . Shot last year at 198 yards through the heart and lungs. He was pretty wide. And tasted amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neckofredness said:
970f0cf2a09148f7fb63e07a831c40fb.jpg

My first and only antelope . Shot last year at 198 yards through the heart and lungs. He was pretty wide. And tasted amazing

Awesome goat!!!!!

I'll second what has been said, that getting the hide off and the meat cooled definitely helps. Try as best as you can to keep the hair off the meat as that seems to have more impact than I've noticed in other game.

Steaks are awesome - cook them like you would with any other steak and you'll be happy. We take the rest and make ground and have had great success with making jerky and sausage with that ground. Last year we mixed 10lbs of ground pork fat with 15lbs of antelope ground and made Italian Sausage by simply mixing it all together with one of the seasoning kits from Cabelas. It turned out amazing! Makes some of the best meat balls and queso that I've ever had.

I'm eating antelope sausage while reading this! I used jalapenos, garlic, and rosemary in  the grind as well as pork shoulder and they are delicious.

I use the shoulders for grind.
Backstraps make damn good steaks!
Roasts for the rears.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

UtahJimmy said:
I'm eating antelope sausage while reading this! I used jalapenos, garlic, and rosemary in  the grind as well as pork shoulder and they are delicious.

I use the shoulders for grind.
Backstraps make damn good steaks!
Roasts for the rears.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You had me sold after I read jalapeños and garlic.... the rest of the ingredients could have been dirty socks and bark and I'd still eat it.... YUM that sounds like a great sausage mix! You can bet your bottom dollar I'll be trying that. YUMMMMM

Daniel-son, must make antelope wontons with the grind!  :)  Maybe if I have an invite to the OK hunt I'll bring some with me to see if you want the recipe!

I think if you fill both tags that you'll have 2 distinctly different tasting animals given their habitat/diet.  I don't believe in NW OK there's much sage so likely more grass whereas NM might be just the opposite.

Agree with others get cooled as soon as possible but don't think a 3 day ice bath is necessary.  I generally just get 'top' cuts of steaks and rest grind.  Find the roasts don't have any fat and I always overcook or dry them out.  Use grind for wontons, summer sausage with jalapeno/cheese or chipotle/cheese, spicy snack sticks, chorizo, brats,.....

Steaks - just like elk when cooking, medium rare with a little salt and pepper.

colorado russ said:
Daniel-son, must make antelope wontons with the grind!  :)  Maybe if I have an invite to the OK hunt I'll bring some with me to see if you want the recipe!

I think if you fill both tags that you'll have 2 distinctly different tasting animals given their habitat/diet.  I don't believe in NW OK there's much sage so likely more grass whereas NM might be just the opposite.

Agree with others get cooled as soon as possible but don't think a 3 day ice bath is necessary.  I generally just get 'top' cuts of steaks and rest grind.  Find the roasts don't have any fat and I always overcook or dry them out.  Use grind for wontons, summer sausage with jalapeno/cheese or chipotle/cheese, spicy snack sticks, chorizo, brats,.....

Steaks - just like elk when cooking, medium rare with a little salt and pepper.

Russ,

You already know you have a "forever" invite.
Once I have the dates I'm heading out, I'll fire them off to you.
I'd LOVE to try some antelope wontons....and anything else that you decide to cook this year!  Unless it's chili :D

If I am able to put two down this year I'll save you a backstrap for the hunt.

Dan is absolutely correct about Russ' chilli. Lets just say it has an explosive effect. LOL!

As for antelope recipes, I prefer 1 pound of ground antelope mixed with 1 can of Alpo! Maybe your dog will eat it and maybe he won't! LOL!

Antelope is has a very distinct taste. You either love it or you hate it.

Russ can cook up some mighty good food, but based off that story we heard Bill.... I'm sorry, it's just not going to be allowed at camp!

I'm about 3 weeks away from my antelope hunt and I am getting VERY excited and hopefully to put one down. I am excited to eat it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back