Antler Flash

Deertick

Mar 2, 2014
I was reading the F&S \"Tips for Elk Hunters\" ... as usual, I\'m always skeptical of Field and Stream ... not because they\'re not \"trustworthy\", but because their information always seems so basic. I seem to always say \"Duh\" to myself after reading \"Tips\" in magazines like that.

But here\'s one that might be worth trying.

Use a shed antler to \"flash\" to a bull that hangs up in a bowhunting set-up.

I think this might actually be not a bad thing to carry in the woods ... a rag-horn shed is lighter than a decoy, and a guy can use it for the same purpose (flashing for visual confirmation for the bull) but also for raking if you want to do that. I would think the antler would be real visible, but also quick to \"hide\"; easy to carry; the price is right.

Here\'s the actual copy of that section of the article:

Tip 9: Finish a Bull with an Antler
In Wyoming?s Laramie Mountains where Doug Stults guides (huntfwa.com), herds of elk roam from the sage flats up into granite outcroppings tossed among the scrub timber. All that open country presents a challenge in calling to bulls that use their eyes as much as their ears. But with little more than a 6-point shed antler, Stults has turned the disadvantage of hunting where elk can bust you from a proverbial (if not literal) mile away into an advantage. ?When I?ve got a bull responding to my bugles and I can tell he?s searching for me, I?ll raise the antler up from behind a tree or boulder so he can see it,? says Stults. ?I wave it a few times just like a bull spoiling for a fight, and the bull will actually come running. The first time it worked I couldn\'t believe it.?

This trick is particularly effective when an elk catches a hunter moving and hangs up out of bow range. ?Often, flashing the antler lets my hunters move or draw without spooking the bull,? Stults says. ?The bull is so locked onto that antler he seemingly doesn?t even care. I?ve found you can get away with a lot of stuff.?  ?D.D.

Interesting...wouldn\'t that draw a bull\'s attention so he is looking right at you? And I don\'t understand how you could be holding the antler up while still being able to draw your bow. Seems like you would need 3 arms? I think where this could be effective is if you have two or more guys and the caller also does the \'flashing\'.

I have heard of this trick for years. Others use it. I notice this guy packs around a 6 point. I doubt a 6 point would bring a rag horn in on the run. I have packed an antler around a few times, but never got to use it. I will volunteer to be the shooter if someone wants to borrow my 6 point antler. :)

\"Swede\" said:
I have heard of this trick for years. Others use it. I notice this guy packs around a 6 point. I doubt a 6 point would bring a rag horn in on the run. I have packed an antler around a few times, but never got to use it. I will volunteer to be the shooter if someone wants to borrow my 6 point antler. :)

Good to see you calling it a trick. ;)

having so many close encounters this year, I can see the value of some flash. the bulls didn\'t react much to calls and stick breaking.... I am getting a hud decoy for next year. much easier to carry than a 6x shed...

It may work like other things at certain times and places, but I am trying to reduce stuff I gotta carry.

I have an inflatable 6 point bull antler that my wife bought at a silent auction when I was still guiding. Pretty cool, fits in a pocket and can be inflated in about 30 seconds. Still have it, sort of keeping it as a rare collectible. I never had a chance to use it in a hunting situation.

\"Jaquomo\" said:
I have an inflatable 6 point bull antler that my wife bought at a silent auction when I was still guiding. Pretty cool, fits in a pocket and can be inflated in about 30 seconds. Still have it, sort of keeping it as a rare collectible. I never had a chance to use it in a hunting situation.

I just had a visual of you in the middle of the forest with a bull coming in, puffing on that thing as hard as you can, trying to inflate it before the bull gets to you.

\"Jaquomo\" said:

I wouldn\'t want to be swinging that thing around during gun season :mg: :mg:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back