Ants!

Bowman

Apr 24, 2015
If this has been covered in the past, my apologies. I'm assuming there is probably no solution but I thought I would throw it out there. The area we have hunted the past 3 years has more ants than I have ever experienced. Floored tents have alleviated the issue at night but any time we stop during the day to sit or nap they are all over us! The hunting is great but the hot daytime temps force us to stop or nap during the heat of the day. Tucking pant legs into socks only help for a bit before they are going down shirts, under hats, everywhere.  I have checked with Sawyer Products to see if their bug deterent clothing treatment works on ants, no go.

Any suggestions on detering or repelling ants in the backcountry?

I have no remedy for the ants. My only thought would be carrying a light weight hammock to take the afternoon naps in, if trees are available.

I have applied sevendust to camo clothes. It works extremely well for seed ticks and other insects. Without it, we would be covered with ticks before we got to our tree stand. It didn't seem to affect the deer at all. It's label says it is effective for ants

Bow hunting captain said:
I have applied sevendust to camo clothes. It works extremely well for seed ticks and other insects. Without it, we would be covered with ticks before we got to our tree stand. It didn't seem to affect the deer at all. It's label says it is effective for ants

I will have to remember this for ticks. Thanks.... :upthumb:

For ticks, I'd recommend Sawyer's Permethrin.  BUT, follow the directions and don't spray directly on skin - just clothes and let it dry.

For ants, take an old candy bar and crush up then sprinkle around your sleeping hunting partner and all the ants will go to him.  Problem solved!  I do like the hammock idea if the ants are that bad.

Thanks for the tips guys! I hadn't thought of a hammock, or sabotaging my hunting partner.😂  I'll check out the Seven Dust treatment as well. Bowhunter1, are there any health risks to treating clothes and wearing them with the Seven Dust? How often do you reapply? Thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back