Any one else behind on deer because of elk?

mainebrdr

Aug 17, 2017
Since I have started elk hunting it seems like I am always playing catch-up for deer season. I have at least 8 or 9 stands I haven\'t even visited yet! If the temp was colder I would might be in a panic. A price I love paying though!

I need to get to the range to shoot a couple deer rifles yet.
We need to scout the deer area, never been there before!
I still have a few things to put away from the elk hunt too.

For me, it\'s pronghorn that is getting pushed-aside.

I have a little range-work to do with a rifle ... tomorrow ... before hunting on Saturday. (I hate that -- but it is what it is).

I\'m sending Wife to Nebraska this weekend to scout for my November rifle deer hunt. (Multitasking is easier with a partner!)

To be honest. I\'m not that fond of deer venison, so it\'s not a high priority if I have elk to hunt.

I can\'t even make myself think about WTs. I should be hanging a few stands and getting ready but I\'m still thinking of elk. I may be ruined on deer hunting. Something about sitting in a stand just doesn\'t appeal to me as much since coming back from Colorado.

\"razorback\" said:
I can\'t even make myself think about WTs. I should be hanging a few stands and getting ready but I\'m still thinking of elk. I may be ruined on deer hunting. Something about sitting in a stand just doesn\'t appeal to me as much since coming back from Colorado.

I was the same way until I finally decided to move here. So, when are you moving here? :D

I would love to move out west. I\'ve been eligible to retire for a year now but my son is still in high school. There\'s no way my wife would agree to it though. Both of our parents live near by and one of these days we\'ll probably have to take care of them. Wished I could though, I LOVE THOSE MOUNTAINS!!! :clap:

The mountains love you too. Hear them calling you...............Steeee...vennnnnn....

Not behind but the deer are. The numbers are way down after last winter. I\'m sitting on stand right now wishing I was back in Co where there where no skeeters. I\'m getting my butt ate alive right now.

\"F M\" said:
I\'m sitting on stand right now wishing I was back in Co where there where no skeeters. I\'m getting my butt ate alive right now.

I wait till the skeeters are gone before I go deer hunting. I have plenty of time to get the job done. I\'m not feedin them blood suckers.

I guess I\'ll go hang a stand or two tomorrow. I am going to do some work for my cousin on his farm and since it\'s surrounded by NF I\'ll go check out some spots I found during spring turkey season. I\'m goin to try and put him on a big buck since I killed his last year.

I hunt elk and deer at the same time, 3rd rifle season. Because of limited vacation time.

Hung a stand yesterday. Ususally have multiple stands up by 1 September. Just not into it much this year. I am putting my cousin on a good scrape I found during turkey season. It hasn\'t been worked this year but there were 3 fresh rubs around it and two fresh scrapes below it. It\'s a good spot that will produce a shooter (public land). I hope he will give it an honest effort. I\'m about a 1/4 mile away from him on a two trail intersections. Only a few small rubs but white oak acorns were raining. I\'ll probably have several deer under me but no guarantee of any shooters. I\'m mainly hunting there so I\'ll be close by for my cousin. I have a few other spots I\'ll probably use a climber. At least I\'ve started, not real enthused about WTs, still thinking about bulls.

Attachments

• Treestand.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 279
I am not too excited about WT deer yet. Season opened yesterday and it is going to be cool this weekend. I plan on taking my recurve to the woods Saturday. I hope to get my first deer with a recurve this year. Maybe the extra challange will add some excitement.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back