Any other Hammock Hunters here?

NJDiverDan

Aug 26, 2015
This is my first year using a hammock as my sleep system to chase elk.  In the past I have always packed in a base camp and hunted from there.  This year I am camping where ever I end up at the end of the day. 

I'm trying the same thing this year. We will have a base camp but every other night gonna stay with them. Good luck

I am interested in the idea. What type of hammock and sleeping bags are you guys using? Do you need to put some kind of insulation under you or is your bag enough?

im curious how its work throughout the night as well?? i have a really light tree hugger hammock and have thought about this but with a 3 person golite UL3 im still thinking its better to be outa the bugs at night.

I'm gona be using a eno hammock and a tarp for a rain cover. All together less than 5 lbs. Going to use a mat under my sleeping bag to help insulate under me. We'll see how it goes in about 2 weeks

jvanhoy said:
I'm gona be using a eno hammock and a tarp for a rain cover. All together less than 5 lbs. Going to use a mat under my sleeping bag to help insulate under me. We'll see how it goes in about 2 weeks

That seems pretty heavy for just a tarp and a hammock, or is that including your sleeping bag as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's hammock tarp and stakes. The tarp weighs themost. If i like it I'm gona spend the extra money for a lightweight rain fly. Since this is my first year trying it didn't want to spend the extra money. Just went back and found a post from when i weighed it. 3.2 lbs. Ifi get the rain fly it will cut it down a lb or so.

I am using a yoga mat under me, you can additionally put a foil reflective liner on it as well( like they use in A/C work) much less than down quilts and has worked for me in 30 degree Mississippi weather

Oh and I use a Hennessy hammock with a snakeskin and carabiner rappel ring set up

First time for me as well. I will be using a grandtrunk hammock at about 1 pound. We backpack in so we have a limited camp anyway. There have been times that we split up and have had long walks back to camp. My plan is that if that happens again I will just use the hammock to save time and energy and stay close to the elk.

I have a dream hammock thunderbird. It has a built in bug net as well as a cold weather shield. I use an under quilt and a top quilt and stay plenty warm.  All in with my tarp I am at just around 5 lbs. Not ultra light but the comfort far surpasses sleeping on the ground.

I am getting faster at setting it up but the time I save looking for a flat spot more than makes up for it.

I have been using a Grand Trunk "Skeeter-Beater" hammock for the past 2 years on solo back country elk hunts. The first time out was just the hammock and a sleeping bag, with Noah's Tarp above me. It got pretty chilly at night. The next time I brought a sleep pad to go under me. It helped to warm things up, but still cold at about 3am. Finally, I bought an Eno underquilt, which is pretty much like another sleeping bag that wraps the underside of the hammock. This time I was plenty warm! I might even try the underquilt with only a light blanket above me. Most of that cold air comes from underneath. Oddly enough, once I finally got my sleep configuration down, I bagged my first archery bull! A nice 6x7!

Nothing like being atop a mountain, alone, in a hammock with lightning blasting right over you all night!

http://s9.postimg.org/rrkr1m6ov/IMG_1669.jpg

I spent a week in my hammock while hunting this year. It worked great! I have anENO Doublenest & the ENO Profly. For next year I already purchased the ENO Underbelly to hold my pack under my hammock off the ground. Before going out I tested it out in 20 degree weather & slept like a baby. A few pointers to help you stay as comfortable as possible. First off, sleeping in hammock is similar to sleeping in a reclined Lazy Boy.
1) Use a sleeping pad. If you don't you'll get a cold backside due to the fact you're elevated with air circulating under you & your insulation is compressed losing its R-Value.
2) Use sleeping pad wings. They keep your shoulders and hips from getting cold since they usually get compressed against the sides of the hammock. I made one from a military sleeping pad cut in half & halved again. I used non slip rug padding & sewed it so it fit snugly around my sleeping pad.
3) Keep something under your knees(gives you support so your knees don't feel like they are being hyperextended).
The rain fly completed me, my gear & my sleeping totally dry.
Practice in the backyard before the backcountry.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back