Any tips for Montana elk hunting

Antler_Fever

May 11, 2018
Posting this up for any fellow elk hunters from montana, willing to share tactics or tips that have led to success here in our state.  Thanks and good luck everyone!!

Oh no kidding?  Small world! I go out to five valley archery club in Miller creek and Shoot on and off. How about you? 

Also to answer the original thread-  what?s led to success is figuring out Fire season. Not for where the fire are necessarily but where the fires push all the hunters too. And avoiding those spots. Last year was rough for our September go for hunting camp. We had to dive dip duck and dodge everyone and once we did we were into some nice elk!

Be ready for the weather. You never know when you might get hit by a snow storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antler_Fever said:
Posting this up for any fellow elk hunters from montana, willing to share tactics or tips that have led to success here in our state.  Thanks and good luck everyone!!

Well OTC montana is pretty tough hunting, when you first start.  I would say rifle hunting here is a lot more difficult than archery season, UNLESS we get a bunch of snow and cold.  So naturally I archery hunt almost exclusively.

Depending on your personality, you can take an elk with you bow a bunch of different ways.  People say practice patience, if you see sign, slow down, take it easy, wait it out by a wallow, take a nap, etc.  I absolutely hate waiting to see what happens.  The only thing I'll wait on these days is the wind.  We wear viofits and on average we cover 10-17 miles/day.  We bugle to locate, move in and put the squeeze on them, using cow calling or bugling, whatever they are biting on. People say not to mess with them in a bedding area bc they'll bust out and never come back. We hunt bedding area after bedding area midday, just trying to raise something. If we bust them we come back in a day or 2.  We know the areas we hunt extremely well, and if the elk aren't vocal but were seeing good sign, we move on.  Come back some other time.  We usually get a good chance to kill a bull each day we hunt.  If your a patient person, you may find success doing the treestand wallow thing.  Or if you are not a good caller you can hit the open country.  But this is what I do, and I'm right down the road in Butte. 

Almost exactly what Montanaelk31 said.  I cover a lot of ground, do a fair amount of glassing and I like to hunt really aggressive.  I've missed more opportunities by waiting than I've blown buy being to aggressive.  I don't call a lot though.  I try to locate a group of elk by ether spotting them or getting one to bugle.  Once I've done that I try to move in a close as I can to the herd and wait for one to make a mistake.  I've been busted by plenty of elk but if you stop as soon as you get busted they either stay where their at or don't move off more than a couple hundred yards.  I'm an out of state hunter and have only killed one bull but if I didn't let the nerves get to me and could shoot straight I should have killed 3 bulls out of 4 years. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back