Anybody use HuntGPS cards??

kjw

Sep 23, 2013
Any reviews / opinions on the hunt gps maps?? Looks like a good tool. Really looking at getting them. Any recommendations on whats preferred for a GPS unit? I like the one I have but it doesn't have the ability to use the map system.

I got it this year along with a Garmin Oregon450T for same reason,mine was not compatable. Amazing tool!  Here in NM with all the public and private checkerboarded all over state it is a must. I used to have to walk fencelines and mark corners and such. Not anymore.
It is taking some time for me to figure out the GPS (not a pc guy)but the mapping system is great.It even comes with a card for your PC.  A new tool in the bag.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am definitely in on the chip. MBC and BullHunter, what GPS unit are you using? I am familiar with the rhino series but not sure if I should stay there or go to the touch screen styles.....Looking forward to finding some new stopping grounds!

buglelk said:
kjw,

I bought the Garmin 62s for my new Hunting GPS Map chip and really liked it. Battery life was great, and I had no issues. The GPS/chips were a lifesaver this season and I won't elk hunt without them again!

I run the 62ST with the chip and loved it. It beat out trax IMO by far. Better mapping with old logging roads as well as creeks in higher elevations (for my given area). With lithium batteries it lasted me 10 days.

I received mine with my Garmin Oregon 550 for Washington state as a birthday gift.  It is a must have and I will say that it opened up some opportunities that I did not know existed.  Plus I knew exactly where I was at all times. If you get one make sure to update it with a computer by registering.

what GPS unit are you using? I am familiar with the rhino series but not sure if I should stay there or go to the touch screen styles.....Looking forward to finding some new stopping grounds!

I am using a Garmin 550, you can get the 450t or 550t, it costs extra and I think the money could be put towards the gps chip.  I say that because the t units come with 100k where as the gps chip is much more accurate 24k topo.  I really like the touch screen and battery life is approximately 16 hours of continuous run. Also depends on brush/cloud cover for searching for signal. But the hot fix is pretty fast.

Try using Lithium Batteries in your GPS, they are liter and last 4 or 5 times as long. imho. I have been using them for about 8 years now, and think they are great.
and Hunting GPS Maps are awesome, I have used it for a couple of years now.

Kevin

Hello all! My name is Nick and I work for onXmaps formally known as Hunting GPS Maps. If you have any questions about what Garmin GPS device to get or chip feel free to ask me any questions! Happy Hunting!

This will be my 3rd season using huntinggpsmaps (now onXmaps) and it has become one of the most valuable tools in my pack.  I currently run it in my garmin rino 650 because my hunting partners also carry rinos.  I've literally accessed public land though tracts that are less than 100 ft wide while staying legal.  Nothing like talking to other hunters that are saying "I know where the elk are at, just can't get to them because of the private property." Not a problem I have anymore! 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back