anyone go in to your elk woods to reduce predation?

coloelko

Jul 19, 2013
I'm heading up soon to go try to thin the coyote population in my elk hunting unit.
Anyone else do this? 
I've never hunted coyotes what do I need besides a call and a thing that goes bang?

Any tips out tricks would be appreciated!

I am heading in to my hole soon to try and get a bear out of there. See a lot of them every year and it's time to thin the population. Past time really...

Here in Colorado we don't have wolves, but coyotes definitely get out of control.  So I'm gonna go shoot some (if I see any).
I'm leaving in the morning so wish me luck!

coloelko said:
I'm heading up soon to go try to thin the coyote population in my elk hunting unit.
Anyone else do this? 
I've never hunted coyotes what do I need besides a call and a thing that goes bang?

Any tips out tricks would be appreciated!

remember the wind watch your movements only spend about 30 min or 45 per set dont dial out your scope sometimes those lil buggers are on top of ya before you know it so you need to shoot close and far. this time of year actual coyote sounds can be more effective than distress sounds. its mating season for them invade the pack like a rouge male.

Well we have it our best yesterday. Could only make it to one good spot that looked like it had been hunted once already. The roads were wind blown and just not too accessible. Might try to go up again in spring before calving starts. 
When exactly does it start?  Is it June?
Thanks

coloelko said:
Well we have it our best yesterday. Could only make it to one good spot that looked like it had been hunted once already. The roads were wind blown and just not too accessible. Might try to go up again in spring before calving starts. 
When exactly does it start?  Is it June?
Thanks

Late may through early june hammer them

We hit bears pretty hard every spring.  Just getting started trying to get serious about wolves, lots of learning so far.  Hoping to connect before season ends.

Coloelko,

Just curious where in CO you are? I live in the Aspen area.

Curious to see what you are doing to thin the predators, and if you think small predators like coyotes are really affecting elk patterns?  Never really thought about it...

I'm near Denver. I hunt in several areas in Colorado. I've been going up near Fairplay for coyotes. No luck yet.  As far as coyotes affecting elk populations, I feel they do for sure!  They can take down a calf no problem.  And if they pack up, they can take down a full sized animal.

Am I alone here or do other people agree with me?

it would have to be a big pack to go after a full grown elk but a calf they pic those off easy and a lot

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back