Anyone use freezer packs?

colorado russ

Aug 10, 2017
I\'ve been using freezer packs instead of ice for many years now and curious if others do or would be interested in starting. Hate melting ice getting on all my food so like the packs. Reason I ask is we have a close friend who orders from Blue Apron or some online meal place a couple of times a week. Well, she\'s given me quite a few large freezer packs and is throwing the others away. I haven\'t tried them yet but don\'t see any reason wouldn\'t work like the Viking ones I bought from Cabela\'s a long time ago.

I\'m going to have her keep more and when she gets a box full I\'ll go get them. If anyone in the CO area is interested, we might could meet up and I\'d give them to you. Might even ship if cost wasn\'t too much.

Caveat: a bag of ice for cocktails goes along too but keep in separate cooler.

I might be interested in some of those Russ. Are they the flexible ones in a bag or are they the solid plastic ones?

As a side note, I have started to just use empty milk jugs in our food coolers. Fill them up with water, pop them in the freezer, and they are good to go. Helps avoid all the melted ice ;)

Derek, they\'re the gel filled refrigerants and do the same \'job\' as the milk cartons filled with water and frozen. They do slide in between food items since not as bulky so flexible ones in a bag. I have taken all of mine and put into a freezer ziploc bag either quart or gallon to reduce chance of puncturing bag.

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"https://www.temperatsure.com/products/refrigerants\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">https://www.temperatsure.com/products/refrigerants</a><!-- m -->

We get gel packs at work monthly with some testing chemicals. I have several of them and use them instead of ice year round. I usually use the water in milk jugs frozen for my elk hunts. Things stay cold and dry with the extra benefit of having cold water to drink as the ice melts. :upthumb:

We\'ve used milk jugs with water frozen for year deer hunting... We use 2 liter soda bottles also... When we kill a deer, depending on it\'s size, it goes in a 150 qt cooler quartered or whole if it will fit.. Even in warm weather the gallon jugs last a long time...

\"Ol\' Arky\" said:
We\'ve used milk jugs with water frozen for year deer hunting... We use 2 liter soda bottles also... When we kill a deer, depending on it\'s size, it goes in a 150 qt cooler quartered or whole if it will fit.. Even in warm weather the gallon jugs last a long time...

^^^^^ I do this too ^^^^^^

One more here that uses milk or water jugs. I freeze 9-15 of these a few days before the hunt and they hold up pretty well.

Thanks for the replies. I use milk jugs also and a frozen gallon jug will last longer than one of these packs but they\'re super convenient for a short trip and don\'t take up nearly as much room in the cooler or the freezer getting them froze solid.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back