Archers-- how\'s your shooting coming?

Deertick

Mar 2, 2014
After getting broadheads and field points to hit together out to 50 yards, I\'m no longer stressing about \"an inch here or there\" ...

And I\'m getting to a more comfortable stage of shooting ... just tossing 4, 5, or 6 arrows out on the yard at random distances and getting them into the vital zone.

With relaxation comes improvement ... at least for me.

Is everyone else ready for that bull to step out at 10-35 yards?

Yep I\'m shooting great out to 60 with BH\'s but I prefer a nice 20 yarder.

I\'ve been shooting for months and made the rookie mistake of letting my bow string get too far along. The peep was turning on me so I had it re-served and a couple twists put in, a week later it was right back at it. I was expecting a longer delay to get a new string, my normal shop builds them and it takes 3+ weeks this time of year. I recently found a closer shop that I\'ve heard good things about and they had a string in stock so I got it back in less than 24 hours. I\'d been shooting pretty well to this point so getting it dialed back in only took a half hour or so. I put out a 2\" group at 45 yards tonight and I\'m calling it good. It was paper tuned and I didn\'t have any issues with broadheads before the string stretch took over so I\'m hoping things are still close enough I can tune any broadhead issues.

My shooting is feeling really good. Just trying to maintain my form until the season rolls around.

ive been shooting pretty much all year. Shot my Ramcats in 10 ring at 50 multiple times last week. Now I\'m just shooting about 6-10 arrows daily to stay dialed in.

Feel confident with my compound out to 60. Need to put on my sight tape and practice 70+, not that I plan on shooting that far, but after shooting the longer ranges, it builds confidence in the shorter shots. Will hunt my mountain goat with the compound.

I\'m still working on my form with my recurve, but fell very good out to 20yds. Need to work on my groups at 30, but they are shaping up. I\'m hoping to get more proficient with the recurve. I have been practicing with it every day (18yds in the backyard) - I plan on hunting my moose with it.

Shot this group at 40 yesterday:

[attachment=1]<!-- ia1 -->image.jpeg<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment]

And here was 40 today:

[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->image.jpeg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Getting solid groups out beyond 50 as well :upthumb:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 233
  • image.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 233
All good here too.
I go down to Gannett Ridge and them tie a new D loop each year for good luck.
Ill get that done here in the next couple days

\"cnelk\" said:
All good here too.
Dang, that would scare the heck out of me changing something like that so close to the season. I guess when they know what they are doing it doesn\'t change much.

\"Baby Huey\" said:
I\'m still working on my form with my recurve, but fell very good out to 20yds. Need to work on my groups at 30, but they are shaping up. I\'m hoping to get more proficient with the recurve. I have been practicing with it every day (18yds in the backyard) - I plan on hunting my moose with it.

Glad I\'m not the only one who shoots both types of bows. I\'d hoped to hunt with my longbow this year, but am not consistently accurate with it yet. On the bright side, my compound is ready to go and broadheads are flying true.
So close!

\"cohunter14\" said:
\"cnelk\" said:
All good here too.
Dang, that would scare the heck out of me changing something like that so close to the season. I guess when they know what they are doing it doesn\'t change much.

x2!

this close to the season, I dont want to fiddle with ANYTHING.

the mountain brings enough variables. I want all my stuff nailed down.

that said..... what Brad\'s been doing does seem to work for him.

I went ahead and changed the felt on my rest a few weeks ago as it was starting to peel off. I immediately regretted it when my arrows started coming off differently. Finally got it figured out, but I quickly realized that wasn\'t the time for me to be tinkering. But like you said, it seems to work okay for Brad! I would have a lot more confidence if it was a shop doing it instead of me...but then again, I like doing the work on my rig.

Broadheads are on and flying pretty good from my compound - need a slight tweaking. Want a 30 yard or closer shot.

Longbow - flying fine, but need it within 20 yards.

I\'ll bring both bows with me to Colorado and decide there.

--Mitch

I got off to a late start this year shooting but have been putting in a lot of time this past 2 weeks. My broadheads are grouping great out to 60yds. I hate shooting groups because it can get expensive very quickly. I am pleased with how I\'m shooting. Now if my hunting partner would start getting ready. :x

About shat myself today. Had plans to have everything piled up in the garage, grocery shop and have it ready to go for Friday. Instead, ended up in ER with my son\'s migraines again. This was the scariest thing I\'ve ever encountered. But, I came home and needed to blow off some steam so I pulled out my bow, put on a practice head and shoot...low...low...low...low...WTH????!!!!! Did a quick spin test and the practice head is wobblying all over the place!

I put on another head and shot and it was dead nuts. Spin test revealed the other two practice heads were fine. Scared the crap out of me!

I immediately did a spin test on the 9 heads we have to hunt with and they were all fine.

Otherwise, I\'m taking the first ethical shot I have this year. I\'ve been reluctant taking a frontal but I am dime size confident this year. I\'m hitting right where my pin is.

Sorry to hear about your son\'s migraines Lark...those things suck so bad. I had them bad back in high school, but hadn\'t had one for over 15 years until last week. Got two back to back. I wouldn\'t wish a migraine on my worst enemy.

Well, I\'m still itching to get into the elk woods, but still been working on my shooting. Took a rabbit out yesterday at 41 yards with a judo point. :upthumb:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back