Archery: Downhill leg on steep slopes

mtnmutt

Mar 2, 2014
Today, I shot at a walking range with very steep slopes. Most of the ground was dirt with pea gravel. Slopes were 15-25 degrees. Fortunately, my hunting area does not have pea gravel on the ground.

I had a lot of trouble keeping my downhill foot in place when I drew my bow back. I don\'t struggle to draw my bow. Gravity appeared to be against me and the pea gravel was like ball bearings.

I have one hunting spot which may require shooting on a 25 degree slope, therefore, I need to figure this out.

When I was kneeling using my knee caps, it wasn\'t nearly as bad. Lowering my center of gravity helped.

Does anyone know where I should keep my weight or how to dig in so the downhill foot doesn\'t slip? Do I give up on a standing position and use a different position?

You know, I have no experience with this, so I will have to go try it a few times to give you an answer.

Can you put the majority of the weight on your rear leg while drawing and then stabilize once drawn?
Imagine a baseball batter who is swinging. Some people will lift their heal on their forefoot, then it comes back down with the swing.

Maybe try to have your uphill leg in a kneeling position. Then use your downhill leg as a support- extended, but slightly (or more than slightly) bent. See if you can use your downhill foot to dig into the pea gravel and make a backstop - like a pitchers mound. This may give you a bit more stability with at least three contact points (knee and two feet).

Thank you.

I will see if I can try these ideas out this week.

I tried an internet search and found nothing.

\"Baby Huey\" said:
Maybe try to have your uphill leg in a kneeling position. Then use your downhill leg as a support- extended, but slightly (or more than slightly) bent. See if you can use your downhill foot to dig into the pea gravel and make a backstop - like a pitchers mound. This may give you a bit more stability with at least three contact points (knee and two feet).

That sounds like a great idea, Roman.

i have a similar target at my range. loose material.

i kick myself a \"hole\" to stand in. my downhill foot. i find i shoot better if i can get my feet kinda close together..let\'s me bend at the waist easier.

now IF YOU CAN DO THIS SAFELY: i do this.

i draw back and aim straight ahead. get into my anchor and then bend at the waist, point at the target and shoot. dont do this if the aiming straight part puts your arrow aiming at something you cannot risk hitting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back