Archery Draw Weight

Sickforit23

Jul 25, 2016
Hey All,
I purchased a Hoyt Nitrum a few years back with 50#-60# draw weight. I had a shoulder surgery from a college football injury and was leary about over buying on draw weight due to the surgery I'd had. It's now 5 or 6 years since the surgery and i'd be comfortable pulling back more weight.

My question is this, is it worth the $200 to replace the cams on my bow in order to get the 60#-70# draw weight?  If I do, will I see much difference with arrow flight, penetration, etc.

Also, I know that i'd most likely have to look at new arrows and possible other equipment if I did this as well so it would possible increase to a higher investment.

Thanks for the feedback. 

Sickforit23,

I've killed all of my elk with my bow set on 59lbs.
I personally don't believe you need the 60-70# limbs.....

MANY of elk have fallen to 50-60# limbs. :upthumb:

To add to what DTP said, you are correct that you will more than likely need new arrows once you increase your draw weight a significant amount (5+ lbs). Is it worth it? That is completely up to you. You certainly don't NEED it to kill elk, but some people prefer to pull more weight. To see the real benefits, just google an arrow speed calculator and you can see how much more speed and energy you will get.

Keep in mind that you can probably sell your old limbs if you do get the heavier ones. You can also find deals on used limbs online at places like eBay or even Archery Talk's classifieds. If you don't want to buy used and don't want to sell your old limbs, I'd honestly just consider buying a new (or used) bow with the correct limbs and selling the one you have. Just a thought!

I was leaning towards keeping the current set up I have anyway but wanted some input for the final decision.

Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it!

Sickforit23,

I am not contradicting anything already said. The key to your success is going to be directly related to how comfortable you are with your set up which will result in greater accuracy and a clean kill.
I just want to emphasize what cohunter14 said. With increased poundage comes increased speed and energy...or flatter shot with increased penetration. Having guided elk hunters for 25 plus years, my number one goal is two holes. If you double punch the boiler, a lot of things that can go wrong are solved. So the penetration is important. I wont say the most important, because if you sacrifice accuracy for power,  then your problem shots increase. With today's equipment there is a lot better penetration at lower poundages than before and if you are already getting pass throughs or at least burying to the fletch, well you are aces. But, if you are not and you can increase power without sacrificing accuracy, upgrading could be an option. If you can gain in both accuracy due to flatter trajectory and power....It could be a win win. I would suggest though if you are considering moving up to shoot a higher poundage bow several times before purchasing to make sure you are not stressing your old injury. That would be the worse case scenario.

WapitiJoeNM said:
I would suggest though if you are considering moving up to shoot a higher poundage bow several times before purchasing to make sure you are not stressing your old injury. That would be the worse case scenario.

Great point WapitiJoe!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back